1 ~ The Twins

Clouds had barely formed in the sky. It was overly warm for a morning in early March. The buds had just started forming on the flowers that littered the fields and the trees were covered in leaves once again. Clambering footsteps were the only sounds heard through the morning air. Two sets of small feet ran up the stone steps in the local churchyard.

"If we're quick, we can make it!" The girl muttered, gesturing ahead to her brother who was a few paces behind her.

Both were nearly out of breath and panting as they raced through the doors of the church. The once silent building was soon filled with the pitter-pattering of feet. Brass fixtures on the walls held lit torches, giving the stone building a warmer atmosphere. The children ran faster, up the many flights of stairs and past many pastors who only chuckled and shook their heads.

The two children finally reached the balcony with bated breath, eyes widening with excitement.

"Come on, slowpoke, or we're gonna miss it!" They continued to sprint along battlements when they were finally met with a glow from the sky.

Far to the east, over the rolling fields of flowers and visible even from behind Wall Rose, was the rising sun. It's rays soon bathed the children with it's warmth and in turn brought a smile to each of their faces. The girl turned to her brother with glee and swung her legs over the battlements. She stayed sat on the wall for a few minutes before either of them broke the silence. The air was too peaceful for even the two eleven year olds to disturb. They gazed at the sun for almost fifteen minutes before the boy finally spoke.

"Are you still thinking about it?"

"Huh?" The girl was pulled from her trance but kept gazing longingly at the horizon.

"Joining the military?" The girl nodded instantly and her fingers found the hems of her sleeves, tugging at a loose thread. "You won't change your mind?"

"You're not going alone. I won't let you." The boy went to argue but was quickly cut off. "We're twins. Where you go, I go. It's always been like that."

The two children stayed silent for a moment more before the boy spoke again, his hands buried in his pockets.

"What if one of us dies, like Dad? How will we stay together then?"

The girl's heart paused, as if it missed a beat or reset like a broken switch. The mention of their Father was painful but as they grew older, they learned to bare it. She didn't have a response to his question and chose to answer it with silence before changing the subject.

"Don't you get excited when you think about what's out there?" The girl asked, her smile widening as she gazed at the horizon. "Just imagine the fields and jungles and deserts!" Her brother smiled goofily, "I can't wait to explore beyond the Wall!"

The following minutes were peaceful, until disaster struck in the young boy's mind.

"Oh no," he started, rubbing the back of his neck regretfully.

"What is it?" Asked the girl, clearly irritated by her brother spoiling the silence. His horrified look made her raise both eyebrows in concern. Tears welled at the corner of his eyes as he spoke.

"We promised Mom that we'd get bread!"

The girl let out a shaky breath and laughed loudly, slapping a hand on her knee. Her brother looked on in horror at her laid back attitude. She hopped back over the battlement, wiping tears of laughter from her almond shaped eyes. The twins shared many of their features. Brown eyes, the colour of melting chocolate, and light freckles dusting their cheeks. Both had dark hair but the boy's was cropped short, unlike the wild locks of his sister.