The American

conscience

It's been ten years since I saw the mahogany eyed boy. The summer when I was eighteen had just been a blissful memory I had managed to cache deep inside my brain. But at this astound moment, all the memories hit me in the face like a pillar I'd crashed into in my past. Time is indeed a storm we all are lost in. But somehow, destiny dissolved in the ferocious storm and floated Teo and I between each other's parts again.

"Teo" I say softly as if testing his name on my lips after ages. His lips curl up into his charming smile. "Mar" he says and steps closer to me, reducing our distance.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, happiness inevitable in my voice. My heart is beating thousand miles per hour and it only happens around this boy. Has been since I was eighteen— in memories or physical life.

"I'm here for my new song" he answers. "World touring." I can't deny I haven't heard all of his songs, listening to them on repeat with my eyes closed and imagining him sitting in front of me, guitar in hand and a lovely smile on his face— when he'd only sing for me in that moment.

"Wow" I smile. "You've come so far Teo. I'm so proud of you." I can't believe I didn't know of his tour. It's not like I didn't try to acquire any information about him. But I never reached out because my heart wouldn't have been able to sustain if he ever did reply back and still the distance sundered us.

"How have you been?" he asks. Lonely, I want to say. Incomplete without you, I want to add. "Independent?" I try to answer. Teo chuckles. Boy has it been long since I heard his warm voice rumble in laughter. Can't deny I've missed this either. My like curl up in return, indenibly his laughter is addictive. "I think we have a lot to catch up. The both of us",Teo says taking another step closer. "How about we talk over coffee. Show me some good places American?"

~•~

I take him to my all time favorite cafe here— in Boston, where I live. I moved here for college and realised I loved this place more than I loved Tribeca. I suspect the major reason would be that Boston was a fresh start for me. Later I found myself a job and now I work there with an amazing pay. The cafe's not the same to which we visited together back in Spain but it works. Round tables with comfortable chairs and coffee enchanting the atmosphere of the room— just right.

Teo sits in front of me, his sweet coffee covered with his gentle palms around the cup. I ordered myself a black coffee and a blueberry pie to share. I loved them here, they were my favorite.
I take in his appearance sip by sip. His birthmark around his eye almost faded. I only ever found it because I was looking for it and had his eighteen-year-old image memorised in my head. But Teo almost looks the same. Almost. Except you can see the maturity in his eyes and his wisdom buzzing around him.

I want to live in the moment, to not think about the moment when we part again but I can't help it. This boy in front of me—mahagony eyed and still in possession of my heart— is my weaknesses and strength at the same time. I thought I'd let my love for him fade away slowly or at least burry it deep inside my heart. But the image of him really sitting in front of me slapped the reality in my face— that I still love him. Never stopped.

"What do you want to talk about?" Teo asks.

"Everything" I answer with a chuckle. But I know Teo. He won't spend our precious time together by reconciling the events that occurred in his past— his career, home, anything. He'll live the moment with me, continue making memories.
He smiles looking down at his cup and then turns his gaze to me. "You look beautiful Margarita" he says. "As always."
His beguling words melt my heart a little. "You look charming as always as well Teo" I mumbled shyly. A blush takes over my face, incontrollable sign of my feelings for him.