34: Farewell

The death of Albus Dumbledore was something that nobody in the castle was prepared for. Although there was a whole week left of term, all classes were cancelled. The halls were as close to empty and still as possible. The few students that roamed for occasional yet necessary meals were all glassy-eyes and quiet. A few gossip girls talked in hushed whispers, spreading rumors about how the man died.

Professors kept to themselves. Snape fled with the Death Eaters, but nobody except for Harry Anna and Draco knew.

Speak of the platinum-haired boy, he had been whisked away to Malfoy Manor. Anna worried every day while Harry fumed. Luckily Draco had saved the girl otherwise she would have been held captive once again.

Now, onto the two Chosen Ones.

The roles were more reversed than ever before. Since Anna found out about their impending doom, she was more mature and prepared than she could have imagined. The death of Dumbledore held heavy in her heart. It wasn't easy, but she was learning to cope.

Harry on the other hand...well, he hadn't left his room the whole week. Maybe occasionally for necessities, but nobody had been around to see it. 

The boy was devastated. His heart had been shattered into a million pieces before him. The death of Dumbledore broke him. He was deeply depressed and he couldn't stop crying, even when there were no tears left.

It wasn't just the man dying, but the betrayal from not one,  but three different people. Draco was obvious, but he was still angry at the boy. Snape...yes, it was shocking, but Harry had always hated him. He had never thought him evil enough to kill the headmaster.

The one that really angered Harry, though, was Anna.

She knew that Draco was a Death Eater on a mission yet she blatantly lied to Harry's face and defended her cousin. Harry was betrayed and angry, yet still sad beyond belief.

Anna had just returned from lunch with Ron and Hermione. The two of them were holding up decently well. Ron didn't shed many tears, but he was in sheer disbelief, consistently saying that Dumbledore was too strong to die. 

Hermione was tearful most of the time, but she tried to stay rational. She was very kind to Anna and said there was nothing else she could have done. She suggested that the Dark Army would've gotten to Dumbledore eventually.

"Ron," started Anna softly. The ginger looked at her. "I think it's time I speak to Harry."

He quickly shook his head. "No...are you bloody mad? He said that you're the last person he wants to see right now. I've told you this already."

"Ronald, he doesn't hate her! I'm sure he'd rather see her than Snape or Malfoy."

Anna chuckled. "Thanks Hermione...but really, I'm going to see him. it's time."

"Not my funeral," muttered Ron with a shrug, receiving a smack from Hermione.

"It's Dumbledore's funeral today, don't be so insensitive!"

The girl couldn't help but smile at the two of them before heading up to the boys' dorm. With everything falling apart, she tried to find positivity in the little things. She loved her friends' budding romance. Despite it all, at least they had each other.

Anna pushed the door open to the dorm. Neville, Seamus and Dean were gathered on the far side of the room all donned in black and it looked as if they were about to leave. They turned to look at her, their hushed conversation ending abruptly.

Her eyes skimmed the room and caught onto Harry's bed. He was curled under a blanket facing her. His eyes were shut and his breaths were soft and rhythmic.