86: Chances and Choices

"C'mere Harry. . .Emma. . "

"No." 

"Yeh can' stay here, Harry, Emma. . . . Come on, now. . . ."

 "No."

 I did not want to leave Dumbledore's side, I did not want tomove anywhere. Hagrid's hand on my shoulder was trembling.Then another voice said, "Princess, come on." 

A much warmer hand had enclosed my shoulder and waspulling me upward. I obeyed its pressure without really thinkingabout it. Only as I walked blindly back through the crowd did I realize, from a trace of minty scent on the air, that it was Draco who was leading me back into the castle. Harry and Ginny were a few meters ahead of us.

 Incomprehensible voicesbattered me, sobs and shouts and wails stabbed the night, but Me, Draco, Harry and Ginny walked on, back up the steps into the entrancehall. Faces swam on the edges of my vision, people were peering at me, whispering, wondering, and Gryffindor rubies glistened onthe floor like drops of blood as we made our way toward themarble staircase. 

"We're going to the hospital wing," said Ginny.

 "we're not hurt," said Harry.

 "It's McGonagall's orders," said Draco, pulling me closer. "Everyone's up there,Anderson. . .Nicholas and Ryan and Astoria and everyone —" 

Fear stirred in my chest again: I had forgotten the inertfigures we had left behind. 

"Draco, who else is dead?" 

"Don't worry, none of us."

 "But the Dark Mark — Malfoy you said you stepped over a body —"

 "He stepped over Bill, but it's all right, he's alive." said Ginny

There was something in her voice, however, that I knewboded ill. 

"Are you sure?" asked Harry

"Of course I'm sure . . . he's a — a bit of a mess, that's all. Greyback attacked him. Madam Pomfrey says he won't — won't lookthe same anymore. . . ." 

Ginny's voice trembled a little. 

"We don't really know what the aftereffects will be — I mean,Greyback being a werewolf, but not transformed at the time."

 "But the others . . . There were other bodies on the ground. . . ."

 "Neville and Professor Flitwick are both hurt, but Madam Pomfrey says they'll be all right. And a Death Eater's dead, he got hit bya Killing Curse that huge blond one was firing off everywhere — Anderson--" 

"What happened to Zoe?" I asked sharply

"Nothing worse than last year. Much better actually."

We had reached the hospital wing. Pushing open the doors, Isaw Neville lying, apparently asleep, in a bed near the door. Zoe was wincing as she tried moving her bandaged hands. Nicholas, Zoe, Astoria, Ryan, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Tonks, and Lupin were gathered aroundanother bed near the far end of the ward.

 At the sound of the doorsopening, they all looked up. Hermione ran to Harry and me and hugged us; Lupin moved forward too, looking anxious."Are you all right, Harry, Emma?" 

"we're fine. . . . How's Bill?" I asked 

Nobody answered.

 I looked over Hermione's shoulder andsaw an unrecognizable face lying on Bill's pillow, so badly slashedand ripped that he looked grotesque. Madam Pomfrey was dabbingat his wounds with some harsh-smelling green ointment.