The Answer to Suffering

I recalled my last journey's end and wondered what happened to my friend. He said we'd travel together again, but now, I couldn't tell how long it had been since our first and last meeting. I remembered our first trip; his first greeting:

"Would you like to time travel? And see secrets unravel?"

I don't know why, but he sold me right there. I'd hopped in his machine without a care, and together we went to the Beginning of Time. I remembered his antics, how he sometimes talked in rhyme. He was no tour guide, he simply stood back and let me immerse as I observed the creation of the Earth. I didn't want to leave, but after he made me go, he pronounced me his "Time Traveling Amigo." So why hadn't he checked in on his "amigo?" After all this time, why was he still a no-show?

Then I thought myself a fool, for I knew the right tool.

I dashed out into the night, running with all my might. Hadn't he said that that ol' Time Machine could always be found at the very same scene?

When I reached its location, he still wasn't there. Was he on a trip somewhere? Where or when it was, I didn't know. Would I have to wait for him to go? I got inside and sat, wondering where he was at.

Then, Time Man was sitting on my knee! Boy, he felt heavier than a tree!

"My!" Said he, "what a ride!"

"Get off of me!" I cried. "You're nearly standing on me feet!"

"What," he asked, "are you doing in my seat?"

"Please get off" said I "and I'll let you know!"

It seemed like forever, but at last he did so.

"Dear Friend Time Man," I said. "I'd been looking for you. I've been wanting to take a journey number two."

"Ah, yes." Said he. "I'd been wanting to get in touch. But I must admit, I haven't had time much."

"Time Man not have any time?" I exclaimed. "That I'd like to see! But now, where shall you take me?"

"It matters not to me when or where we went." Said he, "Tell me, where would you like to be sent?"

"How 'bout where we left off last? That place was sure a blast!" Now Dear Mr. Time me talking in rhyme.

Time Man smiled. "I thought that's what you'd say. I'd go there just about any day."

He got into the machine and set the controls, while I watched as keenly as day patrols

"Alright now," said he "I've set the chime. Now, let us travel through time!"

Then began somewhat of a nightmare as I felt myself flying through the air.

We traveled through time, and then I heard the chime.

"Here we are." Time Man said, getting out.

"All Right!" I shouted, "let's look about."

It was just as I remembered it: the bright colors, everything was lit, the flowers never faded, the trees were all green—it was the loveliest place I'd ever seen. Nowhere could I see a dead leaf or even a stump. This place made an island paradise look like a dump. I wanted to lie on the grass so smooth. I knew if I did, I might never again move.

Time Man motioned with his hand, "Come with me, we have much to see."

We wondered through the land, searching for the Woman and the Man. When we found them, Time Man assured me, "They can't see you, nobody can. You can see them, they can't see you. We aren't here to interact, only to view."