29. Past and Promises...

Is something going on in his mind, she wondered. But before she could ask him she heard him speaking, " Lilly..."

His voice sounded more like a whisper. So slow that she doubted for a minute if she even heard it.

"After Sebastian was born my mom became quieter and quieter. She smiled less often. She would just sit beside the window the whole day and stare somewhere far away."

Lilly continued to hear him without speaking a word. He was finally opening up to her and she didn't want to ruin it even though it seemed like it was hard for him to get each word out of his mouth but he was still trying.

"At times, she used to get mad at me while the other time she would be nice to me again so I had to keep a note of those changing behaviours. I used to wait at the door of her room and would go in only when she would smile at me because then I would know that she won't get mad at me."

Lilly could feel his heart speeding up and his body stiffening as he continued, "Then one day when she was sitting by the window I was contemplating whether or not should I enter the room and go close to her. I missed her. A lot. It had been days since I last heard her speak to me and saw her smile at me. Maybe she sensed my presence and turned her head to look at me and then she smiled. Her smile gave me the courage to walk in."

Lilly once again sensed the change in his heart's rhythm. His heart was now beating normally as his words too sounded less strained.

" I ran to her and rested my head in her lap as she threaded her fingers through my hair. That was all I needed at that moment."
______________

"Ashton." the lady of the mansion called to her son as he rejoiced in his mother's embrace.

"Yes, mommy?'' the little Ashton beamed at his mother.
Finally, after days, she was talking to him again.

"You are my heart and soul." she smiled at her son as she touched his cheeks gently. "I love you a lot baby."

" I love you too, mommy." Looking at his mother he asked, "Let's play in the garden today?"

" I would love to but mommy is really tired now so she wants to take some rest."

"Ok. We will play later." saying the boy started to leave.

"No." she held his hand to stop him as she continued, "Before that would you make a promise to me?"

"Anything, mommy." the little cherub smiled.

She held him by his hand as she walked towards her bed and sat on the edge.
'' I want you to promise me that you would look after Sebastian. He is your younger brother, Right?"

"Yes, mommy."

"So love him a lot and look after him. Can you promise me that?" she asked bringing her little finger in front of her.

He too brought his pinky finger in front and they both made a promise sealing the deal between them.

"I promise, I will look after Sebastian."

"That's like my good boy." she kissed on boy's forehead and then asked, "Do you see that bottle of medicine?" She asked pointing towards a small bottle of medicine on the table.

Ashton turned his head and located a bottle beside the flower vase.
"This mommy?" he asked picking up the bottle.

"Yes. That's mom's medicine. Now would you bring that to me?"

"Ok." he brought the medicine and gave it to her and brought a glass of water for his mother.

She opened the bottle and took 10 to 15 pills in her hand.