The Ball

**** 

Our dormitory was a wreck. The smell of makeup filled the air. Clothes were thrown around the room, empty bottles of hair potion and perfume bottles were strewn across the ground. Hermione had been working on her hair for the past hour and a half. Lacey had cried twice, taken off her makeup and started it over three times, and couldn't seem to stop complimenting everyone.

Hazel had been ready for 45 minutes, and now was sitting on the ground facing Rachel, doing her eyeliner. I looked at myself. My hair and makeup was done now, and it looked rather good if I did say so myself. My hair was straight, but I had made it curl under at the ends, so it was full and bouncy. It was tucked behind my left ear, secured there with a shining beret that had shining stars on it. My makeup was simple, just a slightly more glammed up version of my everyday look.

I had used the music spell to blast the Weird Sisters, there were rumors they would be making an appearance at the ball. Rachel was a super fan, and thought she just might die if they did. I smiled as Hermione stood, her hair finally done. It looked amazing and she looked like a new person. This sent Lacey into a frenzy of squeals. Hermione blushed but took the compliments.

Soon, it was a quarter to 8. I took off the large flannel I had been wearing, levitating my dress. It floated through the air and over my head. I made sure it didn't mess up my hair as I slipped into it. Slipping into my shoes, I added the final touch. It was a necklace that looked like it was dripping with stars, and when it hit the light it looked as if it was twinkling.

"You look amazing, babe", Hazel grinned. I smiled, looking in the mirror. I felt confident. It was an odd feeling. The confidence wasn't because of the way I looked or because of something I had done or accomplished. I felt confident just because I was me. Because I had challenged myself in important and different ways this year. And because it seemed to be working out just fine.

I looked around the room at everyone, at my friends. "Are you ready, ladies?", squealed Lacey, licking her teeth to make sure there was no lingering lipstick. "As ready as I'll ever be", said Hermione, her periwinkle dress shining in the moonlight coming in from the window. I waved my wand, and the dormitory began to tidy itself up. "Let's go", I grinned. Hazel linked arms with me and we made our way down.

Roger was in the common room, grinning from ear to ear. "You all look beautiful", he smiled. Hazel linked arms with him too, "You look beautiful too, Roger". He just laughed. We walked in a group towards the entrance hall. Students dressed to the nines filled the corridors. "Our little Roger is all grown up", I said, wiping away a fake tear, "Charming the ladies and all that". He rolled his eyes. We had reached the entrance hall, where students stood looking around for their dates.

"Oh, I think dates of champions have to go over there", Hermione said, looking over at McGonagall who was gesturing wildly at her and Roger. "Have fun", I called as they walked away. Hermione greeted Krum, who kissed her hand. Fleur smiled at Roger and took his arm, a starry look had entered his eyes. My eyes fell on Cedric. He looked at me for a moment, and smiled, lifting his hand in a wave.

I lifted my hand back, he looked me up and down, giving a thumbs up. I laughed, noticing Cho was approaching. I looked away. The rest of the girls had found their dates, and so I waited. They entered the hall in a group. George first, then Fred, then Angelina who Fred's arm was lazily slung around. I felt as if my stomach was going to explode with butterflies. He looked good, different. They both wore all black suits, the only difference being the red rose tucked in Fred's lapel. It was to match Angelina's fiery red dress.

He saw me, our eyes locking. It felt as if we were the only people in the room. The corners of his mouth tilted up. When they reached me George moved so he was standing beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "You look stunning, Sawyer. Absolutely stunning", he let out, whistling. Fred was staring at me. "No comment from you for once", I raised my eyebrows. "I...", Fred's voice faded. He was staring at me, truly staring. It was as if he couldn't take his eyes away.

"Can you believe I got this hottie as my date, Angelina?", George continued. "Oh, please", I snorted, "I love your dress". Angelia had been looking slightly uncomfortable, as Fred's arm was no longer around her. "Thank you", she breathed, smiling, "Your hair is amazing". We looked at each other and she seemed to say with her eyes, "This is awkward, but we'll get through it". I smiled slightly. "Yes, yes we all look great, shall we go?", George let out. "Yes please", I grinned, "We'll see you guys later". George guided me towards the door, his hand on the small of my back. I turned my head back to look at Fred, I couldn't help it. His eyes were trained on me, his face the last thing I saw before we entered the Great Hall.