Act 7: Blade And Armor

Diluc was surprised to hear Aether wouldn't join him for breakfast today.

"He ate an hour ago, he's in the garden!"

The words of his chef sounded just as confused as he felt when he heard them.

He rushed out to see what was going on. There was no way he could have predicted this.

Aether had only been cleared to walk yesterday and he was already practicing swordfighting. He was visibly rusty, his muscles weakened during his recovery. Being slower than usual didn't stop him from moving with elegance and skill. He knew exactly where he wanted every strike to hit. His imaginary sparring partner must've died a dozen times by now.

It was then that he noticed the sword. It was dark, decorated with glowing purples and reds. Something was wrong with it, as if it was forged from evil itself. He had never seen anything like it. How did Aether get his hands on it?

Of course Diluc didn't give away these worries when he greeted him.
"So this is where you are. And here i was preparing to kick you out of bed."

The traveler nodded a greeting.
"I've been sitting still for too long."

Diluc observed him for a bit before pretending to notice the sword.
"That weapon, i've never seen anything like it."

He paused.
"Good. I'm the only one that can wield it."

"Oh?"
Diluc leaned against the wall behind him, gesturing for him to say more.

Aether held the sword and inspected it, remembering how he got it.
"It's cursed. It corrupts the wielder, eventually killing them."

That was not an answer Diluc could have predicted. Was he trying to hurt himself?
"Then why are you using it?"

Aether starting swinging the blade again, speaking between breaths.
"My purifying abilities -the ones i used to help Dvalin- counters the sword's negative effects. It is harmless in my hands."

"I see."
Diluc was satisfied with that answer. It seemed Aether wasn't hurting himself by using the sword. He was protecting others from it.

He wondered how long his friend was going to train in his condition.
"How is your leg holding out?"

"More exhausting than it used to be, i'll be stopping soon. It's like my leg needs more energy to keep up with the rest of me."

Once he was done he went back to his usual scedule. Tag along with Diluc where possible, read, keep his mind busy...

It was halfway through the day when Diluc was going over the most recent delivery. He saw it hadn't let the winery and was almost late.
"What's with the delay?"

The lone worker looked guilty.
"Sorry boss, Richard got sick unexpectedly. I'm doing my best to get this cargo in the cart as fast as i can."

"And why wasn't i informed of this?"

"I- um-"
The worker seemed to be sweating even more than before.

Diluc was about to scold him when he saw Aether had picked up one of the crates. Without saying a word, he walked up to the cart and put it in.

Once he was on his way back he gestured at the worker.
"Are you going to do your job or not? You might still make it on time."

"Y-yes! Of course!"
He jumped up and went to the crates.

The cart was filled only five minutes later. If the rider hurried, the horses would catch up the difference. The worker thanked Aether before leaving for his next task.

Diluc hadn't said a word the entire time. He had simply watched. It was his goal to get Aether to become interested in the world again, maybe helping out was a good start.

He made note of the cart's departure and turned to his friend.
"Why did you help him?"

The traveler looked at him with honest eyes.
"I'm sick of doing nothing all the time."

Diluc let out a chuckle.
"Are you asking me if i'm hiring?"

Aether held his hand to his chin in thought. he had to admit he'd like some spending money. He still felt naked without proper armor.
"Are you?"

He was glad to see his friend act on his own again. He was no longer limited to the willingness of others to carry him places and organize activities. He gestured at the winery's front door.

"Elzer typically handles the hiring of staff. We could ask him if we have an opening."

A nod. The two of them went inside to discuss the paperwork. They laid out working hours and tasks for Aether that wouldn't be detrimental to his recovery. His hour were tame compared to most. The free time he spent on training and recovery could later be used for commissions from the adventurer's guild.

He started the next day. Richard was still sick so there was no need to adjust work scedules. He filled his spot for a couple days while Elzer worked out what his tasks would be after that. It went well. Aether was glad to be active again. He had practically devoured Diluc's library, reading was becoming dull. Physical labour was much more familiar to him.

Now that he was out and about he spent time with the other workers. He memorized their names as best he could and tried making small talk during work. The staff at dawn winery started opening up to him. No longer was he the haunting ghost from when he arrived, nor was he the silent reader that seemed to be lost in his own world. He wasn't good at talking, not anymore, but he was polite and honest.

The workers got used to his help, the maids got used to his presence. He wasn't a stranger anymore.

It took a month or so for him to grow confident in his fighting skills. His body was regaining its strength. He still had a limp when he walked, only disappearing in combat when he pushed his leg to move as it used to. Diluc encouraged him the entire way, even sparring with him. He was happy to see Aether growing passionate about something again. The horror stories Barbara had told him about knights losing their will to live after the atrocities of war seemed like a distant memory. Aether was strong, he'd push through. He was the type to never give up.

Diluc regretted that thought. Aether never surrendering was exactly what got him this bad to begin with. He'd have to make sure he didn't destroy himself. He felt himself growing more protective over him. He hadn't spent this much time with anyone in years. Aether had become a closer friend than anyone else.