burning the midnight oil - n. horan

The scalding hot water from her bath slowly turned cold as she read the last few sentences of her book.

"'...she who carries the blood of the King of the Gods within her. Bow before your new Queen,'" the young woman sighed as she closed the thick book with a thud.

Great, another cliffhanger, she thought. She stood, water and bubbles trickling down her bare skin, and stretched across the space between the tub's edge and the marble counter. After sliding the book across the countertop, she reached for her towel, hanging from the rack on the light grey-coloured wall. Humming, she stepped on the plush grey bathmat, her toes curling at the soft touch. Goose pimples scattered across her body as the cool towel touched her skin.

She quickly dried off and squeezed as much water out of her hair as she could. Tiptoeing across the cold tile floor and then shuffling across the carpeted floor of the bedroom, she slipped underneath the warm sheets of her bed. She reveled in the smoothness of the black silk sheet as it slid across her skin. Plucking the telly remote from the bedside table, she changed the channel. She found reruns of Doctor Who playing on BBC One. She tossed the remote to the empty side of the bed as a Weeping Angel changed positions. She curled underneath the sheet, pulling the edge under her chin. She knew it was still early in the night, but she had an extremely long, hardworking day, and sleep enveloped her as soon as her head hit the pillow.

When the clock by the bed struck midnight, the bedroom door quietly opened and closed. A brown-haired young man suddenly stopped his movements as he inspected the unconscious female in his bed. With the television that was playing earlier turned off after hours of inactivity, the room was pitch black. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he could mark the outline of her petite frame. From his position at the foot of the bed, he studied his partner's form, comfortably lain on her side of the mattress. The corners of his lips rose into a gentle smile as he wondered at her mesmerizing body.

The silk sheet she had used to protect herself from the cold air only hours earlier now draped just below her hips. Her chest rose with each quiet breath she took. One arm stretched across the edge of the mattress, her hand dangling in the open air. The other arm rested above her, curving around the top of her head. The man quietly marveled at her beauty for a minute before shaking his head, clearing his thoughts. As the balls of his feet brushed against the heels of his shoes, the dark blue clothing items were kicked across the room. His hands reached at the collar at the nape of his neck, wrestling his white t-shirt over his head and carelessly discarding it onto the floor with no much as a second thought. His fingers played with the button on his pants, finally tugging them to the floor once the clasp was free. His boxers and socks quickly joined the rest of his clothing on the floor.

Reaching his side of the bed, he plucked the remote from the silk and placed it on the bedside table. As stealthily as he could, he slipped underneath the sheet, curling his body flush against his lover's. A leg found its home on top of hers; fingers tenderly grasped the side of her hip. She stirred slightly at the sudden contact. Before relaxing his head in the crook of her neck, his soft lips connected to her skin, leaving a tame peck dangerously close to the harden peak of her breast then one to her temple. If the placement of his leg and hand on her body didn't wake her, those kisses definitely did.

She hummed in acknowledgement as she turned to her side, facing him and hooking a leg over his upper thigh, trapping his leg between hers. His fingers that gripped her hip, traced a line up her spine. As that arm protectively wrapped around her, his other slipped under her neck. She did the same their arms crossing as her other hand found its way to his waist.

At feeling her warmth pressed against his thigh, a low, sultry growl escaped from his lips and reverberated through his chest. "Someone's excited that I'm home," he spoke. With her eyes still closed, she voiced a soft chuckle. Knowing what the act would do to him, she arced her neck and back, "stretching"; her breasts pressed against his chest, and her lower portion pushed closer to his thigh. She could feel his length get trapped between their bodies; it hardening by the second and twitching against her stomach.