02: K

TONY

TONY

IF DAMON Dominic was just an ordinary student, the news of his death would have gone in one ear and out the other of almost everyone in Clark University. But he wasn't just an average student. He was a celebrity. A star looked upon by most.

So I was not surprised when his locker became an instant shrine. May mga nakatirik na scented candles sa sahig. May mga bulaklak na inialay sa tapat. May mga message sa iba't ibang size ng cards na idinikit sa kanyang locker door. Puno ng "We love you!", "We will miss you!" "Rest well, buddy!" at "Gone too soon!" ang karamihan sa mga ito.

I had nothing against the outpouring show of condolences, but I felt pity for students who were locker-mates with him. Halos nasakop na kasi ng mga bulaklak at cards ang kanilang space. Mahihiya silang buksan o galawin ang mga offering doon. Thank God I wasn't one of them.

I may not have known Damon personally, but I thought of paying my respects to him. Dumaan din ako sa kanyang locker, sandaling tumigil doon kasama ang iba pang mga estudyante, at nag-alay ng maikling panalangin. That's the least I could do for him.

May he rest in peace.

Umalis na ako sa locker area at tumungo sa classroom namin. Before reaching the stairs going to the second floor, I stopped by the table on the entrance hall and grabbed a copy of the Clarion's hottest and latest issue. Bumungad sa akin ang malaking photo ng pag-kiss nina Cleo at Damon kagabi, courtesy of Emilio Letran. But what caught my attention was the headline. Guess who the writer was?

POLSCI STUDENT DIES FROM ALLEGED SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION
by Octavio Agustin

AUTHORITIES ARE now looking into the death of a 19-year-old Political Science student on University Night.

Damon Dominic, who was also crowned the Male Face of the Night, began to wheeze and gasp before collapsing on the floor, witnesses said.

The victim's girlfriend, Cleo Petrarch, said that Dominic is allergic to peanuts and believed that his death was prompted by his allergies.

"When I noticed that he's having difficulty in breathing, I suspected it was an allergy attack," Petrarch said. "Ilang beses ko na siyang nakitang sumpungin ng allergies kaya familiar na ako roon."

The medical examiner of the university police is yet to release an official cause of death.

Meanwhile, the concessionaire and catering services for the U-Night confirmed that their stir-fry vegetables had peanut oil in them.

"We asked the University Night Committee kung may allergies ba o pagkaing bawal sa mga estudyante," the head of the catering services told the Clarion. "May ibinigay na list sa amin, pero hindi kasama ang peanut allergies, kaya inakala naming okay na mag-serve ng meal na may peanut oil."