Chapter 17

A few hours after leaving Cristiano's office, some of his friends arrived for dinner. We were in the dining room, laughing and chatting away. Despite the fact I barely knew any of them, we seemed to be getting along.

"Don, there are a few things we should discuss." One of the men says to him. The men turn their heads to me, I look at Cristiano and he tilts his head, motioning for me to leave. I immediately do as I'm told, whatever they were going to discuss, seemed important.

As I leave the dinning room, I walk into the living room, and sit on the couch. I didn't know what they were talking about, or how long they were going to take. The front door opens, and Sergio walks in, looking tired. I smile at him, and he smiles back. Sergio was nice, and Cristiano really trusted him, so I felt a lot more comfortable around him than any of Cristiano's other associates.

"Where's Cristiano?" Sergio asks.

"Oh, he's in the dining room with some of his friends. Their talking about something important." I say with a sigh.

"Ah, it's probably about the Genovese. Tensions are high, that's probably why Cristiano had that family whacked." He says pulling out a cigarette.

"Wh-what?" I ask, as thoughts start to plague my mind. Sergio looks at me puzzled.

"That assassin. We had to...did you not know?"

"Cristiano told me that he didn't do anything to them." I say, my voice cracking. Sergio's eyes widen in realization. His cigarette falls from his mouth.

"You can't tell Cristiano I told you." Sergio says, picking up his cigarette and practically runs out of the room. I just sit there in shock. He killed that mans family. And he lied straight to my face. I felt betrayed, and for the first time in a while, angry.

Cristiano and his friends walk out the dining room, he gives me a look, like he's telling me to get up, but I don't, I just sit there and glare at him. He says goodbye to his friends, and immediately walks over to me.

"Is something wrong?" He asks, crossing his arms.

I just sit there and stare at him angrily, I don't even feel like saying a word to him, but I do anyways.

"You lied to me...about that family, you killed them."

He looks startled.

"Giada..." He says, walking towards me. I don't let him finish. I get up, brushing past him, and head for the stairs.

"Giada get back here!" Cristiano shouts at me as I race up the stairs. I don't listen to him, I just keep going till I reach our bedroom. I throw the door open in frustration. As I enter the room, everything feels like a lie. He had manipulated me so easily, was everything else he did just a lie too? I can hear him stomping down the hall, but I don't care, I leave my back to the door.

"When I tell you to do something, you do it! You hear me?" He says furiously. I turn around to face him, he is fuming. I should be terrified, deep down I am, but my anger clouds my judgement.

"How could you? They were innocent!" I yell at him.

"They were not! Anyone involved with the Genovese is not innocent!" He screams back at me.

"That little girl couldn't have been more than 5 years old! You cut her life short! And for what?" Cristiano and I are face to face now. Tears fill my eyes.

"Revenge. The Genovese murdered my parents, and yours, and yet you think we should just spare the people who work for them just because they're young?!" He yells into my face.

I push his chest, just to get him away. He grabs my shoulders, and shoves me to the ground. My back slams against the wall, I scream and cover my face, fearing he's about to do his worst. Is this where the abuse starts?

But he doesn't hit me. I move my hands away and look up at him. I don't feeling angry anymore, I feel terrified. He's angry no doubt, but I'm shocked he isn't beating me. Suddenly, Cristiano walks into the closet, and comes out with a coat. He starts to put it on, and I look at him confused.

"I'm going to the Bordello, don't wait up." He says, then walks out of the room. When he leaves, I pull my knees up to my face, and I start crying. I let everything out. All my frustration, all my anger, all my fear.

Eventually I get my emotions under control and stop crying. Then I come to the awful realization that this is where the feelings need to stop. Maybe I just need to accept the fact that we can never have an actual relationship. In reality this was just another business transaction, that would end up producing an heir or two. Things would just be easier if I suppressed my emotions, and cut off my romantic feelings. Thinking about him being with another woman, and maybe even taking a mistress, stung. But it would make it easier for me to accept the facts.

Cristiano and I weren't suppose to love each other. And as of right now, I decide that we never will.

If you or someone you know is suffering under an abusive spouse or family member please call 1-800-342-3720

sooo this is where things kind of take a turn into the really harsh realities of being a Donna. how do you guys feel about Cristiano after what he did? comment, like, and share! 💜💜