Chapter Three: Roadblocks

"I swear, I won't let you go," "You swear?" "Every damn day," Ali laughed before looking towards the Ferris Wheel before she nodded and smiled at Tommy "Thanks Tommy, you're the best," she stated before they got in line at the Ferris Wheel. 

"Alright, just — just don't look down," Tommy gulped and Ali watched him, scrutinising his pale face before she smiled playfully "You don't like heights either, do you?" Tommy chuckled nervously "No, not really..." Ali leaned back against him and he gingerly held her close to him, feeling ecstatic that he was so close to her. 

"Why'd you bring me up here then?" Tommy was stuck in his own little world and couldn't answer as he watched her blonde curls float in the strong breeze, catching light from the falling rays of the sun. 

"Enjoying the view there?"

"What?" 

"You're staring and it's starting to weird me out a little," 

Tommy shook himself out of it "A, only a little?" He joked and bowed his head, intent on not looking at her while he heard that laugh that drove him crazy "Yeah... only a little..." Ali took a breath "Listen Tommy, I, this is the most fun I've had in in weeks and — well, I like you a lot," "I like you too..." Tommy could only mutter as he felt himself moving closer, tilting his head to go in and — 

"I just wish it would work out with Johnny..." 

ABORT! ABORT MISSION!!! Those words flashed in Tommy's head and he froze right in front of her 

"You get what I'm saying?" Tommy gave a half nod and cleared his throat "Y—Yeah, I mean yes, yes I I understand," he deadpanned, disappointment stabbing at his insides as he felt semi sick to his stomach, because this was the death knoll, that sign that told him all he didn't want to know... 

Ali Mills would never think of him as boyfriend material, never be able to see the annoying way his heart always leapt at sight of her, how he would die just to see her smile... because Ali Mills only saw him as her friend... 

he sighed deeply, contenting himself with that... 

maybe even having that, only a little bit of Ali, was better than nothing at all.