25.

"All I want for christmas is my mommy."
-the author
____________________________

"-the author____________________________

Hazel Fenty

Hazel Fenty

Christmas Day
Thursday

Hazel did her regular routine when entering the hospital. She was so excited to see her mom. It had been two months since the accident and her mother's nurses said she was doing very good. Hazel made her way down the hall to her mom's room, she knocked on the door before entering. She always did this in hopes her mother would speak back. Nothing. She sighed pushing the door open to see her mother standing straight up with her arms opened. Two nurses standing, one her left side and the other on her right.

"Oh my God, mommy!" Hazel cried aloud, covering her mouth. She covered her mouth as she began to weep. Tears fell from her eyes, as her uncontrollable crying began. Coco with the strength of a thousand slaves walked over to her daughter carefully, wrapping her in her arms. Hazel instantly hugged her back as she cried.

"My beautiful Hazelnut princess, I love you so much." Coco cooed, closing her eyes and rubbing Hazel's back. The nurses departed the room to give them some privacy.

After a few more moments of embracing they let go of each other. Coco got back in bed laying back. "How are you?" Coco asked, playing in her daughter's hair. Honestly, Hazel was in disbelief, this moment felt so surreal.

"I- mm, I don't know." Hazel laughed, causing her mother to laugh too." She looked into her mother's eyes, they held a symbol of healing, love and a long time of fighting.

"It's okay." Coco reassured her, giggling.

"When did you wake up?" Hazel asked, narrowing her eyes to her mom.

"Three days ago." Her mother admitted. Hazel's mouth went wide open.

"Mom, why didn't you call me?" Hazel was confused and surprised at the same time. Of course her mom knew her number but why didn't she pick up the phone as soon as she woke up?

"I wanted to surprise you." Coco smiled, touching Hazel's hand.

"Well this is a big surprise." It was indeed and also considering it was Christmas.

Hazel laid her head on her mother's tummy like she always did. Her mother played in her head as usual but this time something else felt off.

"Mom?" Hazel slowly let out.

"Yes?" She said back.

"Why yo-"

The door opened stopping Hazel mid sentence. A nurse came in with a large cart, wheeling it over to Coco's side of the bed. They talked amongst each other as she checked her vitals. Afterwards she left leaving the mother and daughter alone again.

"I have a surprise for you." Her mom said, Hazel lifted her head up looking at her.

"What?" Hazel was confused, nervous, and excited all at the same time.

"Go look behind that jug by the sink." Hazel did as instructed. She found a long rectangular box, with a white bow tied on the top. "Don't ask questions just open it." Coco encouraged. Scowling at her mom, Hazel walked over to sit back down. Her mom was always up to something.

She opened the box slowly, first starting off with the bow. She untied it and laid it on the bed. Then she popped the top off the box to reveal a pregnancy test.

"M-Mom?" Hazel stuttered with dilated eyes. She was astonished at the little pregnancy instrument inside the box. There were two pink lines visible across the tiny screen.

"Mhm." She hummed, with a smile.

"How long? Like, how long have you known?" She picked up pregnancy test examining it more.

"Five months." Hazel's mouth fell open.

"How the heck you hide your pregnancy for five months and I not notice and you not tell anybody." Coco shrugged, before stifling a giggle.

"Surprise, Merry Christmas." She exclaimed, with her arms raised.

Hazel laughed before looking at her mom. "'Ya dad and I was suppose to- where is he anyway?" She questioned. Hazel unfortunately had to give her mother the bad news.

"Hazel." Her mother's voice was stern but there was a hint of nervousness.

"Yes?" Hazel replied, looking down at the white bed sheet.

"Where is your daddy?" She asked, pushing her chin upward to make a Hazel look at her.

"Momma." Hazel croaked, as her voice trailed off.

"Baby, I need to you tell me. Did something happened to him?" Coco panicked, her eyes were big. She was becoming afraid that something bad happened to her husband.

"He's-" The door swung open cutting off Hazel's sentence. Black stood in the doorway astounded that his wife was side awake and talking.

"Baby??" He cried out, rushing over to the bed. He engulfed his wife in a big hug rocking them back and forth. "Oh my God..." He weeped into her shoulder. Coco looked at her daughter with suspicious eyes. What's did she have to say? Why was she about to cry?

"Wow Hazelnut, I didn't realize you had bought me so many gifts, thank you baby." Coco smiled, looking at a happy Hazel as she opened another gift box. Coco had received so many gifts. Hazel had gone shopping everyday of the month for her mother. She purchased earrings, pandora bracelet, lingerie, shoes, clothes, wigs, cards filled with money, and etc.

"You're welcome." Hazel beamed, she was filled with so much joy that her mother was awake. She was healthy, happy, and most important, alive. Despite the arguing and bitterness her father showed toward her Hazel still went out of her way to buy her dad gifts as well. A Rolex, some earrings, a chain made of real gold, shoes, suites, and hats.

The little room was filled with so much joy and elation. You wouldn't be able to tell there was strife, and chaos. Hazel still wondered how in the world her dad new her mom was awake? Who told him? Every now and again he'd look at the entrance of the door or occasionally look out the window. He was paranoid, and it was written all over his face.

"Black, baby you okay?" Coco asked, sipping her ice water.

He nodded even though it didn't look like he was sure. "Y-Yeah baby, I'm fine." He assured her repositioning himself for the third time in a row.

"You sure dad?" Hazel butted in. She knew what was going on and knowing what she knew she didn't want to put him on blast or stress her mother. Time was ticking and sooner or later that door was going to open and there'd be trouble.

Team boy💙 or Team girl?🎀