Chapter: 1 Late Night Thoughts

My late night thoughts aren't like most peoples, there not filled with questions about the universe, or oozing with regrets about yesterday.  My one and only late night thought...or more of a question actually, is whether or not I'll live to see the light of dawn.  

I sat there pressing my knees against my chest.  Clenching my teeth together I resisted the urge to scream in fear of luring the creature hiding in my room.  tomorrow is my tenth birthday, I'm not even sure if I want to live through another year enduring this level of insane paranoia. 
creeek... what was that? footsteps? 
my heart pounded in my chest, my blood began to boil. i could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up. slowly i heard the sound of pressure weighing on the floorboards outside of my room, it neared as sweat trickled down my forehead. 
all I have to do it stay on my bed, that's all. I squeezed my eyes shut  hoping the noise would just go away...but it didn't. my stomach dropped when I heard my bedroom door open. I felt a presence enter into my room, footsteps drew ever closer and I feared my heart would burst. 
don't look, don't look, don't look! 
suddenly I felt a hand place itself on my shoulder
"Eithan" I heard a voice whisper. my body began to shake with fear and goosebumps plagued my arms. 
"EITHAN!" the voice screamed. 
another hand gripped my other shoulder and shook me ferociously.
something wasn't right, how could a monster touch me if I hadn't left my bed. 
taking a chance I looked up, mustering all the courage I could.
it was my Mom.

She stared at me but all I could do was stare down at the floor, embarrassment and paranoia taking over.  She left the room reassuring but still sleep evaded me.