6

Luckily there were payphones lined up not far from where I stood. I walked over and lifted a heavy phonebook dangling by a chain and opened it. Looking at the Emergency Services section, my mind was busy sending all kinds of questions around itself, including: Should I just dial 911 or should I look for the nearest hospital. I decided that my predicament would probably better be addressed medically. While holding the book, I mentally noted the street signs at the intersection. I was at Young Street and Shepherd Avenue. I scanned the Hospital addresses looking for the words and found three. Two were on Young. But how near or far were they from where I was?

I didn't even hesitate tearing the page out. While doing it, I also damaged the book's title and crumpled a few sheets inside on purpose. If anyone had noticed me doing that, I didn't care. At least now the book was a self evident announcement that it was vandalised, incomplete with missing pages, and needed to be replaced by city staff soon.

Armed with info, I reached the corner of the street from where I could see up and down both Young and Shepherd in either direction as far as I could see. I tried to spot any signs of a hospital. When I didn't, I looked around to find anyone appropriate who'd fill me in with what I needed. There were a few utility workers fixing up something underground. But I instead walked into a bookstore.

A girl sat at the tiller. I asked her if there was a hospital nearby. She told me the Front General was the nearest she knew. I checked the page but it wasn't even one of the three I'd picked. I asked her for directions. It was a few subway stops away she said, but I told her if I could get a walking route that'd be fantastic.

Out on the street again, I began a walk down Young and according to the street signs, heading south. I was supposed to reach Front Street West then take right and go straight east a few blocks until I saw the big hospital building that I couldn't possibly miss.

As I brisk-walked, I realized it was already late afternoon.