viii. interviews

eight - interviews

- - - ➳

the next morning, i wake to my prep team hovering over me. i barely have time to blink before i am forced out of my warm, comfortable bed and into the bathroom.

they work on me until late afternoon, polishing my skin and plucking out any hairs that have grown back since the opening ceremony. each of my nails gets painted a fiery orangey-red. then venia gets to work on my hair it until it tumbles down my back in elegant curls, the front french-braided and held back with gold, shimmering pins. my face is powdered, flavius complaining about me being so pale already, and then they brush some drastically dark shadow on the corners of my eyelids and line my eyes with kohl. 

after they finish coating my lips a dark blood-red, cinna enters. he's holding what i assume is my dress, but i can't see it due to him shielding it away from me, even though it's already covered.

"close your eyes," he orders, and i do.

i feel the silken material slip over my body and am surprised at the weight. i grab someone's hand as i blindly step into my heels. they are just as high as the ones effie had me practice in, which i don't understand. i'm not short at all, so why make me four inches taller?

there is fidgeting. there is ruffling. then there is silence.

cinna takes in a breath. "open."

as soon as i open my eyes i am met with someone else. someone who is undoubtedly me but doesn't seem so in the slightest. with the makeup, jewels, and dress combined, i look like something fresh out of the capitol, but less inhuman.

the dress is blood red, matching my lipstick perfectly. it has reflective gems covering the bottom and the amount lessens the further up the dress they go, making me look like a shimmering ornament. when the gems catch the light, it looks like a ripple of flames flies across the dress.

i've never been one for glitz or glamor, but this outfit is a work of art that takes the words from my mouth. cinna's gift for fashion has transformed me from an average-looking girl from district twelve into a person who deserves to be given a second, or maybe even third, glance. 

i can feel everyone's eyes on me. octavia is covering her mouth and her eyes brim with tears. all i can manage is a single thank you, but it holds so much more meaning and cinna definitely understands.

the prep team is then dismissed by cinna and i take the time to practice walking in the heels some more. it has definitely gotten easier, but i make sure to hold my hands out slightly to ensure i don't fall.

"only one piece of advice for your interview," cinna says. his gold-lined eyes twinkle with mischief. "twirl."

i nod and assure him i definitely will make sure i spin.

after a lighthearted conversation with him to calm my nerves, it is time to go. the interviews take place on a stage in front of the training center. i only have minutes until i am live on television in front of panem.

cinna and i meet up with the rest of the district twelve gang at the elevator, and i notice portia has done an amazing job with matthias. his hair is styled upward as usual, but with red and orange and gold dusted at the front so it looks like his head is alight with dancing, precious flames. he is dressed in simple black pants, a red long-sleeved button-down rolled to just above his elbows, and a black bow tie. i notice his shirt matches my dress in color, but other than that, our outfits are nowhere near identical.

katniss, effie, and peeta compliment me on my appearance. i avoid haymitch. matthias looks like someone just kicked him in the groin.

"are you okay?" i ask him seriously, noticing how pale he looks. the absence of his usual smile speaks volumes.