The Colours of a Butterfly

Have you ever heard the myth of the people with four arms, four legs and two heads? I have. It is a beautiful tale, but with a horrible twist.

At first mankind were created with four arms, four legs and two heads. We lived upon the earth as we do now, but the gods feared us. We were too powerful. So, the gods to split us. Into two halves. Two arms, two legs and one head.

And so, we spend our lives looking for this other half. The one taken from us. This other person can be in any form. A friend. A lover. A family member.

Some search their whole lives for their other half. Some find them instantly. Some when they are young and lively and some when they are old and grey.

I found mine. I found them and I love them with my whole heart.

But there is a barrier between us. It keeps us apart.

I cannot hug them. Nor can I kiss them. I cannot hold them and tell them it will be alright.

I see their suffering. Time and time again. Yet I cannot help them. There is an invisible barrier. Because as they suffer, and think I cannot see it, I am banging on the glass, trying and trying again to break through it. To get to them. So I can hug and kiss them. So I can hold them in my arms and tell them it will be alright.

For they cannot hear me screaming. Shouting to try to get them to look over. To get them to turn around. So that they can see me too.

Instead, I see them slipping further and further into the darkness. And they cannot turn around. For so many people are pushing them further and further. Telling them they are not enough. That they have not achieved enough. That they are not strong enough. Or that they are not smart enough.

If only they would turn around. Then I could show them. I could show them that they that they do not have to keep walking in the direction of everyone else. I could show them that they do not need to be alone in the darkness. That they do not have to fear. For I could show them how amazing they are.

I could show them the colour of their wings.

If only I could show you, my butterfly, how beautiful your colours truly are.