i'll see you soon 🔴

The next week came swiftly, and the smell of flowers began filling the air. The days grew longer and the mornings became hot and dry. Leorio sat on his porch, anxiously tapping the railing. Periodically checking his watch, he looked out at the crowded streets, wondering when he would see his new friend. Something about this mysterious blonde had Leorio completely entranced. He had stayed up thinking of this peculiar stranger in the nights following their meet up. He struggled to place his finger on exactly why this boy he had just met, had such a hold on him. As his mind began to wonder, he saw Kurapika's familiar face in the crowds of people. Rushing to his side, Leorio grabbed half of the books and began walking beside him. "Hey!" Leorio smiled at the boy. Kurapika returned a friendly glance and responded, "You know you don't have to carry those for me. I'm perfectly capable." The truth is, Kurapika was able to do this job. Though small and weak in appearance, the Kurta boy had incredible strength. "I really don't mind." Leorio smiled politely. The two began their journey for the second time, walking closely through the crowded streets.

Leorio broke the silence. "Hey, how long are you allowed to be out?" Kurapika glanced over at Leorio. "Pretty much as long as I'd like. They just need the new books back before tomorrow. However, I usually just make the exchange and head straight home. Why do you ask?" Leorio touched the back of his neck nervously. "Oh no reason. I just wanted to show you one of my favorite spots." Kurapika didn't respond, but rather nodded his head in agreement.

After their trip to the library, the two boys rushed down a separate path, leading to a large open valley. Leorio grabbed his friend by the hand, and they ran down to the grassy area. "Come on!", Leorio yelled. Kurapika giggled lightly as the two made their way through a tall field. Suddenly, the boys arrived at a beautiful clearing. They sat on a fallen tree trunk and caught their breath. "Pretty cool, huh?" Kurapika's mouth hung open slightly as he peered up at the sky. A large tree in the center of the small hill allowed only a bit of sunlight to destroy the dark shadows of leaves and branches from above. It was a beautiful sight. "Oh wait! I almost forgot. I brought you something!" Leorio reached into his pocket and pulled out a small napkin. He unfolded the paper, revealing two small cookies. "I made this for you." Kurapika accepted the gift and thanked his friend.

The two sat in silence as they ate their cookies. The peaceful breeze was a drastic change from the busy noise of the town. "Hey Leorio." Kurapika looked at the tall boy sitting quietly beside him and gently placed one hand on top of his. "Thank you." Leorio blushed lightly as the blonde stared deep into his eyes. He was sure his beating heart could be heard from across the valley. Unfazed by Leorio's flustered state, Kurapika rose to his feet and swung his bag over his shoulder. He reached out his hand, helping Leorio to his feet. For the first time, Kurapika noticed just how much distance there was between the two of them height-wise. "I should go back to my clan now. This was nice. I'll see you next week Leorio." Kurapika began making his way through the field. Still feeling dizzy and red, Leorio responded, "Oh- Okay. I'll see you soon." As the two separated, Leorio's embarrassment turned into happiness. Both boys smiled all the way home, thinking deeply about their interactions with each other. They wondered just how long this next week would feel.