No one likes a burnt samosa

Our cake was a disaster. My brother and I worked on it for hours that morning trying to perfect the recipe and the decorations but it simply wasn't working. Christmas was always reserved for family time. It was the one day the cafe was fully closed. We had lunch and dinner together as a family. Sometimes, Banu joined but most the time, she'd sneak into the kitchen and grab something to eat after everyone would leave for bed.

'So you pay rent with your part time at Tesco?' I asked.

'Yeah, it's not bad. Really, like the house rent altogether comes up quite small when we all split it.' My brother explained.

'So you don't think it's shit that I want to move?' I questioned as I applied a little mountain of white across mound of cake that was sat in the middle of the cake base.

'Course' not.' He shrugged. His eyes were focused on the icing trying to get the perfect dark green for the Christmas tree.

'But I'd have to work part time?' I asked.

'Yeah, it's not bad ish for me cause of savings but you probably will need to work.' He answered.

'That's not bad though. I just have to stay focused and not spend for the three years and I should be fine right?' I asked.

'Yea, I'll speak to the others and maybe you could even live with us.' He suggested.

'You think that's a good idea?' I asked.

'It could be a backup plan?' He shrugged.

'Sure... sure.' I replied thoughtfully as I tried to get the icing as even as I could. It was obvious that neither of us have the baking skills that our parents have. They make the most exquisite and decorative cake with great intricacy. Our cake simply looks like a tragic mistake. We still persevered to push all the icing into something that resembled a Christmas village. It was made with love and I'm sure they will appreciate the thought.

'What's up with you then?' He asked suggestively.

'What's up with me?' I retorted.

'Any guy?' He asked and I already knew what he meant. I shook my head with a giggle. My brother always did this just to be keep in touch with my love life. He was so nosy. I guess I take after him in that regard.

'With amma and appa watching my every move?' I asked with a smirk.

'I was hooking up and shit during A2.' He shrugged.

'Well it ain't the same though, right?' I asked.

'How?' He asked obnoxiously.

'For one, you're a boy and two: I can't see myself with anyone. Also do you see me hooking up with anyone?' I enquired.

'Yeah, nah. That's really weird. What about the kid you hated?' He asked as he raised his eyebrows teasingly.

'Who?' I asked.

'Goalie.' He answered.

'Jason.' I replied and he nodded.

'Thought you two had a something something.' My brother replied while wiggling his eyebrows.

'Ew, did you just quote the Jayam Ravi film?' I asked.

'You used to have a massive crush on the actor... don't even lie.' My brother teased.

'Yeah but I do not have anything for Jason.' I retorted which was a blatant and very obvious lie. I might have a tinsy winsy crush on him. I tried very hard not to but .

'Really?' He asked.

'We are just friends. I'm being honest, Anna' I reassured him.

'Fine. I believe you.' He replied but I was sure he didn't believe anything I said.