chapter 13

A message is delivered to Anakin, a few days after his scolding from the Jedi Council

A message is delivered to Anakin, a few days after his scolding from the Jedi Council. He still reddens with embarrassment when he thinks of it, how the Jedi Masters had snapped him up in their jaws and opened him. He keeps the comm to himself for this very reason.

The Chancellor has summoned him to his office to talk, and he will go. He won't tell Circe, even if he wishes he could, out of fear that she'll tell the Council and they will forbid him from going. Or worse, they may ask him to report what is said. He can see it now, the way it would trace back to his vision, back to Circe, and how they would all doubt him, just as Obi-Wan had.

Anakin has the power to ensure her safety now. He won't put that in jeopardy. If it takes lying to her to keep her alive, he will do it. There is no corner of the universe Anakin would not travel to for her, no ocean he would not cross, no distance he would not go. So, he keeps the Chancellors summoning to himself. As he races down the Temple stairs, no one stops to question him. He emerges into the blinding sunlight of the city and makes for the docking bay, wordless and uninterrupted.

The trip over is fast, though he's traveled well into the heart of the city. The Chancellor's office is high up in the Republic Executive Building. It stands tall among the other buildings, covered in clear, blue glass, like a heron in a field of reeds. A droid escorts him to the elevator and leads him down a long, brightly lit hallway, lined with windows that peer out over Coruscant's skyline.

"Anakin," Palpatine greets as the young Jedi walks in, getting up from the large table he's seated behind.

"Chancellor, I received your message yesterday. I was surprised that you wanted to see me," He answers.

He's can't help feeling like an imposter. He feels rather small and dull in the room, his robes lacking any of the color that is splashed artfully on the walls. The Temple is so soft, rising like a dune in the bustle of the city. This office feels so much more personalized, with its colorful chairs and its impressive certificates hanging in metal frames. The setting sun outside glints against them, like a line of fire bouncing off the brass.

"I'm glad you could make time in your schedule to drop by," Palpatine says. "The Jedi have their hands full at the moment, yes?"

"If you mean the bounty-hunter, sir, she's being detained for questioning. The Order deals with these kinds of things all the time, it's nothing to worry about."

Palpatine nods, moving towards the window to look outside. He has a calming way about him, something in how he smiles and speaks. Anakin begins to feel at ease.

"What exactly happened on Ahch-To?" He asks, "I heard it was supposed to be a friendly visit."

"It was a customary trip for the Younglings. The Temple there is important to us and it's good to introduce them to high-energy places early on. It helps with meditation—"

"Yes, I know all about the rituals. But what went wrong?"

Anakin stops his story upon request. "The bounty-hunter showed up a few hours after we got there. She had droids with her. They were attacking the children, it was... it was horrible"

"Strange," He mutters, his hand on his chin, "Only the worst kind of person chooses children as their target. One has to be truly vile to go after something so innocent, something that cannot yet defend itself." He sighs, before continuing. "I can't imagine you managed to save them all. Such a big group of people to look after while fighting someone."

Anakin swallows. "No, we lost five children, sir. There were too many to keep track of. Too many running. It was like they couldn't hear us; they were too frightened."

He thinks of the Twi'Lek girl, the one who held his hand as they entered the Temple, her body lying in the grass. Still among the chaos. He thinks of how Circe cried carrying her back to the ship, along with the others who had gotten caught in the line of fire.

"Such terror," Palpetine says, sitting back down at his desk. "I wonder, Anakin, where is the bounty-hunter now?"

"In custody of the Order. She's in the jail right now but she'll be going to trial after her questioning."

The Chancellor nods, his brows furrowed deep in thought. "Do you think it would be possible for my guards to question her?"

Anakin turns his head, confused. "To put her into your custody? Well, technically, yes, but why? Has the Republic dealt with her before?"

"Oh, no," He waves his hand, "No, I just think what happened was a tragedy. Those Younglings are your future. The future of the Jedi Order, the War, the peace of this world and others. To lose them, well it's like losing parts of your destiny, isn't it? They're sacred little ones, and I think it's important that the bounty-hunter pays for what she's done."

"I agree but the Council would never—"

"I could be of use to you all. With the government and the Order working together, we can ensure she meets her end. I offer my resources to you so that you can serve justice swiftly."

Anakin doesn't answer. He does not want to be in more trouble.

"How about I send a message to Master Windu and the others, to ask permission. If they say it's alright, you can transfer the hunter to the government prison, and I will begin preparations for a trial."

He takes a moment to think. There is no harm in this. It will be up to the Masters to make the decision, not him. Anakin could not get in trouble for something approved by the Council itself, could he?

"Of course, Chancellor. I will go and speak to them immediately to let them know you'll be inquiring about her."

The older man shakes his head. "No," He says firmly, "No, you should go back and get on with whatever business I'm sure is waiting for you. I will handle everything."

Anakin nods, thanking him and leaving. A sense of excitement overtakes him as he exits the building, the Temple like a shining, tan city on the horizon. He will bring the bounty-hunter a swift end, and the Council will thank him for the help he brought them. He's sure of it.