23.

When I got home it was almost dark. I walked in Kelci was down in the office working on some stuff for her store and asked me to check on Aloni and see if she was up from her nap and I did. on cue when I walked in she started fussing. I picked her up and walked her downstairs to fix a bottle.

She had gotten a little bigger. she was still tiny compared to me. She would probably always be like this. she was really starting to show Kelci's features though. But when she would get mad and fussy she looked like Mason because her nostrils would expand.

I love this little baby.

After I fed her and burped her we chilled and after a while I heard Mas came home, but he didn't come in the garage like normal. I heard him at the front door.

"Aye Chris !" I heard him yell from the living to the kitchen. I walked in with Aloni.

"What's up-" I said walking in but my eyes intensely focused on who was with Mason at the door. i swear I could have pee'd on my self and if I was stupid i would have dropped this precious baby girl but I handed her over to Mas.

"What's up son?" My dad opened his arms for a hug and I almost couldn't believe he was standing in our house.

I didn't even speak, I just went into his embrace and hugged him back.

I let go of him and stepped back to see if this was real again.

"How are you here?"

"You can say good behavior" he chuckled and then we looked over at Mas who was just standing there with Aloni sleeping in his hands.

"Let me show you around then uncle Karter." he said.

We walked through the house and eventually stumbled on Kelci. I could see she looked just as shocked as I was.

"Oh My God, you look just like Tracey " she said. "Does she know you're here ?!"

"No, I wanted to surprise my Son first" he said and looked over at me .

"How long are you gonna be staying for ?"

"Well after I'm here for a week I have to go back to Brooklyn and meet with my PO. And do some checking in with the system. I was let out for my behavior and you can say I'm good in with a couple of the detectives and criminal investigators head of state."

"You wasn't giving names was you ?" I asked curiously

"Ha, no I don't have that in my blood son, but a few of them are pushers we call them. Working for the law and for the streets"

"So what they got you doing ?" I just had all these questions and kept wondering why they let him out so early. He's really not supposed to be out til I'm in my 20's

"Um we'll talk about this at another time. "

"Alright, you wanna head to my mamas house tonight or in the morning ? " Mason said changing the subject.

"The morning. knowing her she's probably doing something and doesn't wanna be bothered" they both laughed as Mas escorted him to the extra bed room we had down stairs.

"I hope you don't mind being downstairs by yourself. The only bedrooms left are on the second level instead of the top."

"Oh naw. I'm comfortable with anything. you would be too if you spend 14years sleeping on a metal bed in a cell block and 1 year in maximum security "

Later that night After we ate everyone got ready for bed since we all had to be up in the morning. we said our good nights. me and my dad caught up a little. I talked to him about Cacie and Alicia. He was more curious on Jermane when I told him that he dipped out after he saw Cacie's body. I don't know if he knew something was up but he acted as if he did.

2am

I was sleep walking from the bathroom back to my room from taking a piss and
I heard something down stairs and then the alarm went off causing my heart to skip a beat. I looked back to see a shirtless Mason coming down the hall quickly with his shotgun and aggressively.

"Aye go back there with Kelci and the kids. She got her gun . Just stay up here an lock the door. "

"Naw man. My dad down there."

"Yo just go back to the damn room Chris-"

A gun shot went off downstairs and then another. Causing me to jump at both.

Mason and I stood there in the Silence and then He went down the stairs slowly and I watched. He turned around and looked at me.

"Here " he whispered and tossed me his Pistol he had in the back oh his pajama pants. I fell back behind him until I knew he cleared the way for both of us.

When we entered the main area at end of the stairs turned left and walked past the kitchen to the back door we saw my dad with his back to us standing over someone with his gun in hand. The back door was wide open. Mason cut the light on.

"Aye Unc" he said

He turned around and looked at us.

The person was masked and dressed in all back. Obviously not a smart person because they had no vest on, their blood was spilling and expanding all over the floor. we walked closer to examine. My dad hit him straight in the heart and head.

"What happened ." I asked.

"I don't know. " I heard the alarm sound. figured it wasn't any of you because you would be smart enough to check that and plus I heard the mother fucker kick open the door. "

Mas walked over and pulled the mask off dude and exposed his face. a little bit of me felt shocked and the other felt relieved when I saw that the face was Jermanes.

"That's him " I said with out thinking

"Who " they said in unison

"Uhh.. That's that nigga Jermane."

"This the dude that shot Cacie ?" Mason said confused liked

"Yes"

"Did you know you know he was plotting to come for you?" Mason asked and i hesitated

"Answer him" my dad said sternly

I took a deep breath

"I got some threatening text after the funeral and they was like don't go trying to have that nigga Goldie helping you out. So I warned Alicia today but I didn't know how to approach yall about it."

Mason starred at me for a minute. He clenched his jaw and his nostrils expanded.

"Bruh are you serious right now."

"Yes I'm dead ass serious"

"It doesn't matter if a nigga say that they got hella information on me if they threaten you or my family I'm coming with my straps ready. Fuck you mean you didn't know how to Approach me Chris? What if I wasn't hear and they tried this shit on my wife and kids man?"

"Mason calm down."

"I'm just saying man what the fuck?."

"I know man I'm sorry. I was gonna say something. I honestly wasn't even thinking the nigga was serious at first but then I grew worried. I'm sorry man."

He threw the mask down on Jermane's face an walked away.

"Look Chris, you're only 17. I been gone for 15years away from you . I missed lot and a lot of that was teaching you how to do some things and for the most part you turned out pretty fucking good. You're not out here like the rest of these dumb asses in a gang ,selling shit , or out here robbing but if there's ever a problem you can always come to us about it . I want you to be a man and handle shit on your own but you need to let people know things like this it's just not your life being put at risk. "

"I know . I understand now. "

"Good. Now help me get this body off the floor."