Getting Settled

"So, are you going to show us around, or..?" Ryota asked. 

"Yes, yes." Darby replied. "I just had to say it to make it official." She giggled. "Now, follow me."

Asmund nodded. "In the meantime, me and Kanin have a few urgent things to discuss with the rest of you, before we all properly greet our new members." He and Kanin along with the other Vikings huddled around in a circle, whispering things that Akahana couldn't hear. A few members glanced at them with curious eyes, and she was equally curious as they were. She, Ryota, Takahiro, and Stormfeather followed after Darby, her hooves clacking against the ground as she threw open the door. Instantly, Akahana was hit with a blast of hot air as she stepped inside, the source coming from a roaring fireplace. The main area was illuminated a cozy glow that stretched across the walls and rocking chairs, and the scent of ginger and cinnamon filled her nostrils. Three hallways split off from the parlor, and into numerous other rooms and places, and for a moment, it reminded Akahana of her home.

"Welcome to the living quarters of the Vikings!" Darby exclaimed proudly as she shook the snow off of her hooves. "It's here where you'll be staying."

"Where is that smell coming from?" Ryota asked, sniffing the air eagerly. "It smells really good!"

"Oh, that's just the cookies I baked in the kitchen." Darby said. "They are for the others after training, but there's no harm if you want some." Suddenly, her eyes widened. "Oh! That reminded me! You poor things probably haven't eaten a proper meal in days!" In a flash, she scooped the three of them up and ushered them down one of the hallways, and into the kitchen, Stormfeather trailing behind. The spicy saccharine scent increased tenfold as Akahana, Ryota, and Takahiro were seated down at a long table. Like lightning, Darby grabbed four silver plates, and just like that, three steaming hot plates of roasted salmon and rye bread with butter smeared onto it.

"Are you thirsty?" Darby asked, opening a cabinet and drawing out three wooden mugs. "I bet you've only drunk river water on your way here."

"Ma'am, it's alright," Akahana declined politely. "You don't need to-" Suddenly, Ryota burped, and licked his lips.

"Can I have seconds?" He asked, crumbs around his mouth as he lifted his plate. "What?" He said as he noticed Akahana and Takahiro's gazes. "I'm hungry." At that, Stormfeather burst out laughing, and Takahiro groaned.

Takahiro sighed. "Forgive my friend, madam." He turned to Darby. "He's a bit more uncontrolled than me and Akahana." 

"Uncontrolled? The lad's a beast!" Stormfeather howled. "I bet he could eat this entire homestead if 'e wanted to!" He slapped his knee and wiped tears from his eyes.

The deer smiled. "I thought I told you to call me Darby," She said as she happily took Ryota's plate and heaped more food onto it. "And besides, it's a compliment to me if I know my dishes are to die for." At that, Akahana and Takahiro's stomachs rumbled, and Darby giggled. "Dig in, kjære."

"Thank you." Akahana bowed her head, before turning to her plate. Picking up a fork, she tore a small chunk from the salmon and chewed. A refreshing, mild salty taste filled her mouth as she gnawed on the pink flesh, and immediately, she was drawn to take more. Takahiro tentatively nibbled on a loaf of rye bread, still hesitant to dig in, while Ryota and Stormfeather carved their way through their food. Darby watched them with amusement and curiosity. 

"So, could you three tell me your names?" She asked.

"My name's Akahana." Akahana answered.

"Takahiro Kujaku, madam." Takahiro said. 

"Ryota." Ryota mumbled, crumbs falling from his mouth.

"Interesting names." Darby remarked. "So then, where do you hail from? Are you rich, poor, or somewhere in the middle?"