Prologue

Patti brought a new record with her pocket change.
"Look, Lucy! Look, look!"
The eleven year old waved her arms, sporting a plain sleeved album. She was at the age between girlhood and budding womanhood, still naive in her girlish decisions.
"I see. Did you get it from Little Richie? You know he only sells bootlegs." In fact, bootlegs were the only things you could get here. All the peddlers and merchants obtained their merchandise from God-knows-where.
"I know, but still!" The girl ambled over to her mistress, waving the record in her face.
Lucy was Patti's Mistress, having adopted the orphan when her parents died. She provided room and board in exchange for Patti cleaning the house, giving her some pocket change as part of her wages. Although a middle aged woman who only possessed a few silver streaks in her chocolate hair, she had no wish to clean her modest Victorian house anymore. Besides, as a bachelorette she needed some company.
"Do you even know if you'll like the music?" Buying records was always hit or miss; unless you heard the record at someone's house, one had no clue what type of music they were purchasing. There were times where Lucy bought a record that she thought was classical but turned out to be some brash, pop candy that deafened her ears.
"No, but I had a good feeling about it since there's a song with your name in it."
Lucy peered at the plain vanilla sleeve envelope, as if it contained some long lost civilization's Rosetta Stone .
"May I see it?"
The girl handed her mistress the album. Tentatively, she slipped her hand inside the sleeve and pulled the vinyl disc out. It was a record by the Beatles. Immediately the title "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" gazed back at her green eyes. A gasp caught in her throat. The album clattered to the floor.
"Mistress?" What's wrong?!"
"Nothing," Lucy waved her hand, tears springing to her eyes. "Just play it."
Patti shuffled the album from the floor and retreated to the phonograph. She placed the record on it and dropped the needle...
***

Lucy in the SkyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara