Chapter 5

WHY AM I BLUSHING?? I shouldn't be blushing. But when Brett looks at me with his mouth wide open, staring at me like I'm the only thing in the world worth looking at, my face grows warm. I shift uncomfortably from foot to foot. "Umm... thanks," I say, not meeting his eyes. Kendra claps her hands together.

        "Now that we've got your make-over all finished, lets start working on your attitude," she says. "Brett?"

        "Hmm?" his says, still staring at me with his mouth agape. "Oh, right, sorry." He clears his throat and tears his eyes away from me. "So... popularity. It's not just about looking good. You've got to play the part. Walk into every room with your chin held high. You have to demand attention. Be confident in yourself."

        "Um, okay," I say. Brett rolls his eyes at me.

        "Stop saying 'um,'" he instructs me. "You have to be confident about everything you say, even if you have no idea what you're talking about. Otherwise, no one will take you seriously. Now stand up straight, hold your head high, and look me in the eye."

        Awkwardly, I straighten up and try to look confident. Brett nods approvingly. "Good," he says. "Now, talk to me."

        "Huh?" I ask. "What should I talk about?"

        "Anything," Brett shrugs. "Tell me about your interests. I just want to make sure you sound confident when you talk."

        "Okay... Well, I like reading and writing. I'm taking a creative writing class at the library-"

        "No, no!" Brett interrupts me, shaking his head. "It's okay to be smart and read a book now and then, but you can't overdo it, or you'll look like a nerd. No more creative writing classes, got it?"

        I look at Brett, surprised. I want to be a professional writer when I grow up. I can't just drop out of my class! Then again, the last class turned out to be a disaster. Maybe it's better if I quit. "Okay," I agree, rather hesitantly.

        "Good," Brett says. "Also, don't voluntarily answer questions in class. Raising your hand to answer a question makes you look like a nerd and a teacher's pet."

        "But if the teacher asks you a question, make sure you get the answer right, otherwise you'll look stupid and ditsy," Kendra interjects.

        "Right," Brett agrees. "If you do get the question wrong though, laugh about it. Be confident, even if you're wrong."

        "It's all about confidence," Kendra says.

        I stare at them, trying to take all this in. Popularity is so much more complex than I thought. I've always assumed that being popular was all about good-looks, but in reality, it is an eternal battle to live up to the standards of perfection. Brett and Kendra stay at my house for another hour, teaching me all there is to know about being popular. The rules are endless. Don't eat junk food, or you'll look fat, but don't eat too many healthy foods or you'll look anorexic. Don't smile too much, or you'll seem desperate for friendship, but smile a reasonable amount, or you'll look mean. Always make sure you wear "the right clothes." Always do this, never do that. Finally, Brett and Kendra look satisfied. "I think you're ready for school on Monday," Kendra says happily.

        "Just one more thing," Brett adds.

        "What is it?" I ask.

        "Ditch the cripple."

        "I- what?" I say, staring at him in shock. "You mean... Archie?"

        "Yeah, whatever," Brett says with a shrug. "Stay away from him. He's not cool."

        I am silent for a long time. I look at Kendra for help, but she does not meet my eyes. She looks very uncomfortable. Archie has been my best friend since childhood. He is the only person in this world who doesn't care what I wear or how popular I am. I can't just stay away from him. But I'm so close to a new life... I can't give it up now. I'll just have to explain it to Archie. He'll understand. He always understands. Swallowing down my guilt, I look up at Brett determinedly. "Ditch the crip. Got it," I say. Brett smiles. "I've taught you well," he says.

        I walk Brett and Kendra to the door and say good-bye to them. As Brett walks out the door, he stops and turns around to look at me. "Hey, Patrice?"

        "Yeah?"

        "Just remember," he says, "that paper is due in two weeks."

        Right. The paper. That's why he's doing this. It's funny. For a second, I kidded myself into thinking that he actually cared about me. He's not your friend, Patrice, I remind myself. He's a selfish jerk. He's only doing this for himself.

        (Author's Note: Hey! Sorry that it's been so long since my last update. I've been focusing more on my Les Mis stories, but now that I'm done with Forever and Always, I'll be able to update this one more often.)