CHAPTER THREE -- CLEANING UP & ACTING OUT

Adrenaline courses through my veins as I fly past both Fred and Lorenzo, George directly across the pitch from me, keeping up with my pace. I head straight for Ron without hesitation, the quaffle tucked under my right arm. I aim, wind back, and hurdle the quaffle toward the hoop directly below Ron. He reaches down with his leg and just barely manages to kick it away before it can go through. As I turn around to defend my own team's hoops, I see the quaffle heading straight for Fred. My heart sinks as I watch it impact the right side of his face. George, not realizing that his brother was hurt, swoops down to grab the ball before it hits the ground. Out of the corner of my eye, I see both Ginny and Lorenzo frantically waving at Hermione, and she blows her whistle. George, Ron, and I immediately fly over to Fred to see if he's okay while Ginny and Lorenzo fly to Hermione to tell her what happened. "Oi, Ron," Fred chuckles, holding his jaw and squinting his eye as blood drips down the side of his face, "you've got a good kick in you."

"I'm so sorry about that mate," Ron replies with a solemn look and pats his brother on his shoulder, "Kenz, could you take him inside and help him clean up? Mum said we wouldn't be allowed to play for weeks if one of us got hurt."

"I'm fine, Ron," Fred says, "I can clean myself up." He attempts to wipe his face with his shirt and my face flames when I catch a glimpse of his abs, glistening from the combination of sweat and the golden glow from the setting sun. My trance is cut short and I am reminded of the situation at hand when his broom dips down and he almost falls off.

"Woahh there Freddie boy," I warn, taking a hold of his broom, "I'll take you down, come on." I keep one hand on his broom to steady him while I lower us to the ground. Ginny and Lorenzo fly to George and Ron to talk about how to restart the game, seeing as they were now down a player from each team.

Hermione runs over to us to inspect the damage and assess him for a concussion. She sighs of relief after concluding that he was okay, but says that he should rest for the remainder of the night and possibly the next day. She sends him inside with me right behind him, winking at me before I turn. I stick my tongue out at her in response and jog to catch up with Fred's pace. "Ronald!" we hear her scream, "you need to be more careful, you could have concussed him!"

"I'm fine Winters," Fred grumbles as he picks up his pace.

"Fred," I respond, still trying to keep up with his pace as he goes in the back door to the kitchen, "you could have been seriously hurt, at least let me clean the cuts on your face." He turns around once he reaches the kitchen counter and leans against it, putting his hands in the air.

"Fine," he surrenders, "you aren't gonna let this go, so I give up."

"Good choice," I say as I wash my hands. I grab a clean rag and dampen it to clean his wounds, then stand between his legs to gently wipe the blood and sweat off his face. He winces a few times but calms down fairly quickly. I notice that he's watching me and I feel my face heat up. "These cuts might scar," I say as I wipe the last drops of blood off his cheekbone and grab the ointment from the cabinet.

"That's okay," he says, still watching me, "it's not like I don't already have a collection of 'em. And besides, chicks dig scars". He winks at me and I laugh, "Hey Kenz?"

"Mmh?" I say, not looking him in the eyes while I apply the medicine to his face. He grabs my wrists and holds them so that I have to look at him. My heart drops into my stomach as I look him in the eyes. They're the most beautiful shade of hazel, I could stare at them for hours. And don't even get me started on his freckles! I could melt!

"Thank you," he says softly, staring into my soul. It's not a harsh or sarcastic stare, like the ones I've received so many times before. It's kind, soft, and almost... loving? "I really appreciate you taking care of me."

"Of course Freddie," I reply with a soft grin, unsure of what else to say. He's never been this outwardly vulnerable with me before, but then again, we've rarely been alone together for more than a few coincidental seconds. We remain in each other's gaze for what feels like both seconds and years, simply losing all sense of time. Wait- is he looking at my lips? Is he leaning in?? Am I leaning in?? Holyshitholyshit, I- I- I- He looks past me for the briefest fraction of a second, then continues to lean in while flipping his gaze between my eyes and my lips. Suddenly, his head turns just past my lips, his lips grazing my ear. My hands clench the cloth I still held in my hands, despite Fred still holding my wrists.

"Here they come," he whispers. I turn my head and back away in confusion, looking around for who 'they' were. Fred drops my wrists and leans back against the counter as our friends burst into the kitchen, covered in sweat and laughing at the events of the match. They tell us about a few things we missed, then Hermione asks what the plan is for the rest of the night.

"Night swimming?" George suggests, "Lee will be here in around half an hour, so we can all change, then meet back down here when we hear him come through the fireplace?" Everyone agrees, eager for the first less-than-freezing swim of the summer.

"'Mione, do you think Fred is alright to swim?" I ask. She inspects Fred's injuries once more, this time sans sweat and dirt.

"I think he should be okay. How are you feeling Fred?"

"Oh just," he looks me up and down then back to Hermione, "peachy."

"Well alright then, I suppose..." she says, confused.

"Just keep an eye on him so that he doesn't drown or anything, Kenz," Ginny says.

"Wh- Why me?" I stammer.

"You're always watching each other from across the room anyways, it shouldn't be that hard Winters," George chimes, causing my face to flame, "and besides, I'll be a bit... distracted... when Jordan gets here." This earns a collective ick from the group, specifically Fred. Don't get me wrong, I know that Fred is super happy for them, but I don't blame him. I think I would be a bit disturbed at the thought of my twin snogging my best friend too.

"Alright, alright, let's just go change," he says as he drags me up the stairs. Everyone else follows suit and I hear Courtney and Hermione whispering ferociously in an attempt to decipher what the hell happened with Fred and I.