Chapter 1

Notes:

Welcome, readers!

Back in December, during the Christmas break, I watched The Mandalorian back to back (hadn't been interested until then). I felt there was a lot to be explored and said about the relationship between Din and Grogu, so here I come with a new story!
It isn't finished yet but I reckon it will only have two chapters.

It's the first time I write about The Mandalorian so apologies if any of the characters seem a bit OoC. Also, I have no beta so all mistakes are mine. Point them out if you spot them!

ENJOY!

__________________________________________________________________________

He felt lost. So lost and alone, an acute pain in his chest making itself known.

The Razor Crest was destroyed, he'd taken the helmet off in front of other people twice in the span of 24 hours, breaking the oath he'd sworn when he became of age, and now Grogu was gone.

He had no ship, no creed and now, no kid either.

He'd done what was best for him, he was aware and didn't regret giving Grogu away to that Jedi that had answered the kid's call. He was too powerful for a Mandalorian like him, and besides, Ahsoka had mentioned he'd already been trained as a Jedi before. He belonged there.

And yet, he couldn't help but feel some sense of guilt and shame in realizing that a part of Grogu also belonged with him. A clan of two had turned into a clan of one, and despite knowing from the moment the armourer told him that he had to deliver him to a Jedi, the acute pain of the realization felt like salt on an open wound.

It had been days, weeks, Din didn't really know, since Luke Skywalker had come to take the kid away forever. He'd had no idea who the man was and, honestly, he hadn't cared to look at his credentials at the time. Cara had told him who he was later on, probably to allay his fears and make him feel better about his decision of letting him go.

And yet, despite knowing that Grogu was safe with the man that had destroyed the Death Star, the pain in his chest didn't diminish. The memory of if, the sense of loss and grief that washed over him whenever he closed his eyes and saw Grogu toddling up towards Luke with outstretched arms, as he'd done countless of times with him, still hurt and made his eyes burn with hot tears.

He felt empty, like a hollow shell floating around with no sense of direction or purpose. He was thankful for Cara, who'd faced Fennec and Bo-Katan when she wanted to challenge him to a duel for the Darksaber, saying that he was in no condition to fight. She was right. Din knew he would push through if it was a life or death situation, but he really couldn't care less about the fate of the Darksaber, which was still strapped to his belt; or to a planet that he didn't feel his own.

Din sighed, taking his helmet off in the privacy of his temporary quarters, and avoided looking at his face in the mirror. He knew what he would find and he knew it wouldn't be a pretty sight. He left the helmet and his Beskar armour on the floor next to the small bed, along with his weapons save from his blaster, he always slept with it close. Or rather, he kept tossing and turning until exhaustion claimed him, and then he would wake up sweating and panting, and wishing beyond reason that a pair of big, brown eyes were looking at him with curiosity upon waking up. But no such thing ever happened, and Din felt more hollow every time he opened his eyes and only darkness welcomed him.

The days were trying and exhausting, and Grogu could do little else but collapse onto his bed when the darkness came and the lessons stopped. His little body still wasn't recuperated enough from his ordeal with Moff Gideon and he'd already spent so much energy before on top of the seeing stone, he was simply giving it all he had but knew it wasn't enough.