CHAPTRER EIGHTEEN

David made breakfast while I showered.

French toast with golden syrup—something I had never eaten before but it tasted delicious. Afterwards David cleaned the dishes and then told me to wait in the living room while he got dressed. Instead of listening, I explored.

For some reason I was drawn to the room that he had taken me to yesterday, the room with his knife collection. I held my breath as I turned the door handle, afraid that it might be locked, but the door opened without trouble.

I felt around the wall with my hand until I found the light switch.

It was strange that this was a room in the house that had no windows at all. The walls were painted a dark grey and the rest of the furniture—a big four-poster bed and another piece I couldn't identify—was made of dark oak. I stared at the blood red sating sheets covering the bed and then turned to face the knives.

The one he had used on my yesterday had been cleaned and placed back in it's place. My fingers shook as I reached out to trace the handle of the knife closest to me. The metal was cold and smooth to the touch. I looked over it and then looked at the drawers.

With a heart beating erratically in my chest I opened the first drawer.

The sight of the whip actually made me feel nauseas. I shivered and squeezed my eyes closed as the panic hit me. After a few seconds I opened my eyes and reached out. The whip felt cold against my skin and so familiar. It felt exactly the same as his.

Sweat coated my skin and bile rose in my throat. The room suddenly disappeared, only to be replaced by another room. Somewhere darker and colder. I could smell him. I could hear his laughter and the sound the whip made as it dragged on the floor whenever he circled me.

"I want to play, princess. Will you play with me?"

My body jerked. The sound of the whip connecting with skin filled my ears first before the pain penetrated. A cry fell from my lips. I stumbled backwards and turned, only to slam into a hard body.

My eyes snapped up.

"Sin?"

I pushed him away and hurried towards the bathroom but unfortunately didn't make it in time. David was by my side in an instant, holding my hair out of the way and keeping me up with an arm wrapped around my waist. Somehow I ended up laying on the couch with a blanket covering me. David cleaned up after me and then crouched in front of me.

"Feeling better?" I nodded. "What happened?"

I swallowed. "I remembered."

"Something that happened in your past?"

"Y-yeah."

He hesitated. "Did they knives trigger it?"

"No." My eyes darted over his shoulder. "T-the whip."

David blinked. He stared at me silently for what felt like hours before he moved. Standing, he disappeared from sight only to reappear again with a brown envelope. David crouched in front of me again. He reached out and stroke a finger across my cheekbone.

"This is why we need to talk first," he muttered. "I need to know what triggers you have and what you're willing to do and not. You'll be performing with me as soon as we've gone over everything."

"I'm sorry for not listening to you."

He smiled. "I need to get going but I'm going to drop you home first." He held up the envelope. "I want you to read as much of this as you can and make notes. Tomorrow morning, I'll meet you at the club at nine and then we can go over this."