Chapter 5 - Madness

We were cornered before we knew it. Did they follow us here? If so, the why? I wrack my brain for an answer, then it dawns on me— the claw. I take a look at my HP and grimace.

1/19 HP remaining.

Kit has to be in a similar predicament as well, but as far as I know, we don't have any healing potions; Unless Kit has some and hasn't told me about it we're screwed. I step forward wielding my dagger then draw a card, but I don't look at it in fear that if take my eyes off of them, it'll be lights out for me. "I'm not sure why you're here, but we didn't find anything too special in there." I say, hoping to buy us some time. I mentally count down the last 10 seconds of Last Laugh's cooldown while conversing.

The mage smirks down at us, her voice as condescending as can be. "Really? Well that's too bad." The three men behind her begin laughing, "We'll take a look ourselves though, if it's all the same. You see, we don't just do this for the drops, kid." The cooldown on Last Laugh ticks down to four as she continues. "Killing players gives XP as well as a chance to gain something from your inventory. If that means we have to kill you over and over to get that item, so be it, but new players like yourself have very few things in your inventory." She grins again, raising her staff to start weaving a spell. "No luck stat required." She finishes as static charges the air around me.

I quickly activate Hare's Swiftness and bolt towards them. "Phantom Waltz!" Kit shouts, as he begins phasing in and out of existence, speeding ahead of me and eventually teleporting up to them, Unseen Impaler in hand. The Knight interposes his shield between the Mage and Kit, the invisible spear clanging against it. Kit spins in the air, kicking off the Knight's shield, narrowly avoiding the attack from the Assassin's daggers. It's then that the Mage lets her spell fly as lightning streaks down from above me.

"House of Cards!" The cards appear just in time for the lighting strike to connect and send the cards flying at the mage shredding her up, the shock evident on her face. The Archer turns his sights on me and I try to quickly close the distance, throwing the card I drew and drawing another in case. The card finds purchase in the Archer's arm.

6 damage.

He then lets an arrow fly towards me, but I side step and avoid it. "Slippery bastard!" The Archer shouts as the Mage begins charging up another spell. Kit fights off the Assassin and Knight, overwhelmed by their flurry of attacks and skills. The Knight then smashes his shield into Kit, sending them flying towards the Assassin where he uses a skill that allows him to slice Kit up in several quick dagger flourishes. Kit falls to the ground, their stamina spent and their HP low.

I finally reach the Mage and Archer, dagger raised high. I slash at the Archer who dodges nimbly, but it was a feint; I then throw a card towards the mage and it nails her in the chest!

Critical hit! 18 damage.

She's shocked causing her focus to break, and halting the spell she was casting. It was then that the Archer shot me in the back and Last Laugh triggered. I instantly place a Mask Transfer marker down and activate Hare's Swiftness again to get out of there as fast as possible. I glance over to Kit who is using their Phantom Waltz skill to briefly dodge the onslaught of attacks from the Assassin and Knight, but they won't hold out much longer; I need to help them, so I shout "Kit! Go after the Mage! I need to regroup!" Kit doesn't hesitate and begins phasing in and out towards the Mage and Archer as I directed. The Archer turns his attention to Kit hearing I was regrouping and the Assassin and Knight give chase— just as I planned.

"Kit get out of there!" I yell, waiting for them to group up. Kit's Phantom Waltz runs out, but they say "Warp!" A wormhole opens up under them, just long enough for them to leap in. Kit teleports behind me and I reactivate Mask Transfer, teleporting behind the Archer. All four of them let out shocked gasps and startled grunts as I stand there with a mischievous grin on my face. I shout "Mirage Bomb!" And the colorful explosion goes off, catching all four of them in it.