TWO

Eleanore Lawson tightened her fingers around the butt of the bounty hunter's pistol. She must remain strong. She'd prepared for this moment, and she couldn't allow anything to sway her decision – especially not Austin Tanner's brilliant blue eyes and his handsome face.

His face held a few scratches and bruises from his fight with McQueen, and he seemed to be protecting his left side. But although he was probably hurt, she was sure he'd survive.

It was four months exactly when her uncle had hired the Bounty hunter to find Judge John Lawson's killer. Ellie recalled the day when Austin Tanner had returned to the house and informed Uncle Wesley that no matter how hard Mr. Tanner searched, there weren't enough clues. He admitted at the time that he had stumbled across some other Bounty hunters searching for the same killer, but they had all been led astray.

Ellie's gut knotted painfully now, just as it had done when she'd overheard the Bounty hunter with her uncle. She wouldn't accept that answer. From what she'd heard about Austin Tanner, he was good at finding criminals. She couldn't believe he had just given up the search for her father's killer.

She motioned his gun toward the knoll he had climbed over earlier in an attempt to capture Mr. McQueen. "Let's return to your horse."

"Where are you taking me?"

"I thought we could go to your home if it is closer. Or, if you'd like to ride back to Dodge City, Kansas wearing handcuffs, I'm certain I could arrange that."

"Dodge City?" His frown deepened as he scanned over her from head to toe, slower this time.

She would wait to see if he recognized her. They had met briefly that day he accepted the job from her uncle. Of course, she had been wearing a black mourning dress, and she had her hair pulled back into a tight coil on her head. Her eyes had been red from crying. She doubted Mr. Tanner would recognize her at all.

"Yes, I'm from Dodge City, as was my father."

"Was your father Judge John Lawson?" Austin asked warily.

"Oh, so you do remember the case you never solved?" She nodded. "I'm surprised."

He sighed. "Yes, I remember that case. I remember how frustrated I was when the lead I went after turned out to be worthless. I also remember that I kept trying to find the man. After a while, even a Bounty hunter realizes that there are just some cases that won't be solved. Your father's case was one of them." He shook his head. "And I also recall returning the money your uncle had paid me. I'm an honest man, and if I don't do the work, then I refund the money."

She scowled as the anger in her head made her skull throb. "You did not return the money," she snapped. "If you had returned the money, my sister and I wouldn't have had to go live with my uncle and his loud-mouth wife who cared more about high society than her husband's nieces."

"Now listen here, Missy." Austin took a step closer. "You can ask any of the people I've helped. They will tell you that I'm honest. If I say I returned the money, then I returned it."

Ellie's chest tightened. She took a deep breath, trying to control her frustration. Uncle Wesley had been known from time to time to cheat. At least that was the story she remembered from her father when he was alive. Had Uncle Wesley lied to her about the money? Yet, why would he want her and Josie to come live with him? Was it out of guilt?

She mentally shook away the thought. "It doesn't matter," she told the Bounty hunter. "We're still going to your house. Where do you live?"

He blew out a heavy breath. "It's definitely closer than Kansas."