Chapter 11 "Freedom"

Octavia's POV 

     Today is supposed to be my day off, but I had to come check on Clarke. I won't be here long. I got the phone call a few hours ago, from Harper, saying that she was awake. I remember the first time I heard Clarke's name mentioned. I just started dating Lincoln when he decided to work with his mom. I was just finishing my residency and going into trauma. It made me fall even more in love with him. It was his passion and drive that did it. 

     He wanted to help women be able to live their lives without fear. He said that if he had to put every bastard away that harmed a woman or child he would do it. This all came about because of a news story on Clarke and Raven. 

     Clarke lived in fear of the next time Finn was angry or drunk that he would hit her again. Then the first time she tried to leave, he beat her so bad she should have died. Raven should have as well. I found out later that the only reason that neither of them did die, is because of one Abby Griffin.

     She was the only surgeon available the night it happened. She had them brought to the same OR. She was halfway through stitching Clarke's back and Raven's surgery as well, when she realized who she was working on. There was just too much damage and blood to tell at the time.

     Jackson came in halfway through it and started to work on Clarke. Which is about the time that Abby noticed how severe the damage to Raven's was. Raven is lucky that she wasn't paralized from the waist down. 

     Jackson told us about that night. He said it was the day he believed in miracles. Of course, he was only one of the few that knew that they survived. Jake and Abby knew what it meant when the police couldn't find Finn. They knew both girls would never be safe till he was found. I place a hand on my stomach, just thinking about what I would do if something happened to mine and Lincoln's baby. 

     I knew Lincoln was working on Clarke's case. He couldn't tell me all the details, but it didn't really shock me that she was alive. I see it everyday at the hospital. Survivors of abuse do not always have many other options. Many kill themselves, in order to not have to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives.

     I walk up to the nurses desk and see Harper. She already has Clarke's file ready for me, but I can see that she wants to talk a minute. "Her whole family was in the hallway when she woke up. Lexa had locked them out." Harper says.

     I frown upon hearing that and ask, "Why would she do that?"

     Harper smiles sadly and says, "I think she was worried that Clarke wouldn't ever wake up."

     "I could see her withdrawing further into herself each day that there appeared to be no change in Clarke's condition. So what happened next." I ask her, knowing there is more that she wants to say.

     "Jackson was just coming to check on her, when he ran into the family. After talking to them for a few minutes, he went to unlock the door and that's when we all heard it." Harper says.

     I look at her, after glancing at Clarke's chart, I notice a sad smile on her face and a tear running down her cheek. I place a hand on her shoulder and she shakes her head and continues, "Lexa must have hit the intercom button next to the call button, because we heard the most chillingly beautiful voice come out of the speakers. She was singing a song no one has ever heard before. There wasn't a dry eye on the floor."

     "Lexa was singing to Clarke?" I ask her.

     "She was, but when the song ended, there was a crash from the room. I ran up behind the family, just as Jackson opened the door. Clarke was awake and both Lexa and her were kissing. It was the sweetest moment that I have ever seen." Harper says.