December 22, 1995

Harry knew that something strange was going on, and now it was certain. Over the past two months, since the first quidditch match of the year, Harvey and his friends seemed to always be up to something. He had found them, many times, giving Snape strange looks, and they were always whispering. Initially, Harry had assumed that the three of them were just being eleven-year-olds until his mother informed him of Hermione and Harvey's accusations.

The idea that Snape would go out of his way to physically hurt Harvey seemed ridiculous. The man despised James with his whole being, that was clear, but the feelings that Snape also harboured for his mother was also obviously clear. Every time Snape would see Lily, his whole demeanour would change. It didn't matter how much Snape hated James; he would never hurt Lily's son.

What Harry agreed with, though, was the jinxing of Harvey's broom. The broom had been carefully checked to assure both James and Lily that the broom was safe for Harvey to ride, which meant that someone had targeted Harvey during the game. Flint was his first thought, but the type of jinx that was used needed eye contact, unbroken eye contact, and there was no way Flint would have had the time to do it. There was the probability that he had convinced another housemate to do it, but most of Flint's friends were all bark with no bite. They were left with the question of whom would want Harvey dead or injured?

Harry had spent some time considering the question. Looking for other students or teachers that might have a problem with Harvey or even their mother and James. An old grudge or school rivalry, but nothing seemed to fit. It was Ron, in their friend group, who was more aggressive. Harvey seemed to spend a lot of his time reigning his friend in than starting arguments of his own.

It was Will who provided a more plausible thought just before they were heading home for Christmas. Harry and his friends were hanging out in one of the hallways, classes were over, they were all packed and ready to head down to the train, but that wasn't for another hour or so. They all had decided to find a quiet spot to just chill. Snow was falling, and Hogwarts was covered in a white blanket forcing everyone to rug up. Harry was leaning against the wall, his nose buried in his scarf as he tried to keep the frost at bay. Carlisle was sitting on the floor opposite him with Amelia on his lap; Cedric was playing exploding snap with Jenna and Dylan beside them.

Will had arrived late but with hot cocoa from the kitchens for everyone. He walked over to Harry last and handed him a cup, and leant against the wall with him.

"Jenna was telling me that you are having sibling troubles," said Will.

Harry sighed. Out of all his friends, Will was probably the easiest to talk to about having a younger brother. He had his own younger brother, Blaise, who had also started Hogwarts that year. The two of them butted heads on most things.

"You could say that," said Harry. He took a sip of the hot beverage and sighed as it warmed his chest.

"What's being happening?" asked Will.

Harry sighed and let his head fall back against the wall. He said, "It seems that Harvey just attracts trouble."

"Are you referring to the quidditch match?" questioned Will.

Harry nodded. "That, and the fact that he ended up fighting a troll on Halloween. And now, somehow, he has become convinced that Snape is either trying to kill him or has other sinister plans." He took another sip of his drink.

Will laughed. "Snape wouldn't bother wasting his time trying to kill him."

"That's what I said."

"What are these possible sinister plans?"

Harry shrugged. "I have no clue. My mum told me that Hermione—"

"Is that the frizzy-haired girl?"