2 : The Sorting Hat

The Sorting Hat

"never forget who you are, because they won't"

*

The Great Hall was filled to the brim with students in black robes and ties of varying shades. Miriam walked with the rest of her house to the table on the far left, taking a seat in between Severus and Dot.

Across the table, Eden elbowed Devon, causing him to wince rather dramatically. Smirking, she flicked him in the side of the head. "Have either of you seen Reg or Hickory?"

"Present!"

A redhead practically popped out of nowhere, dropping into an empty seat. A calmer boy with sharp features and a gentle smile sat down next to her, shaking his head to himself. Both were in the year lower than them, but no one cared. When Miriam was first sorted into Slytherin, she immediately loved how her peers treated her like the age she acted, not the age she was. If someone had a good idea, no one cared that they were twelve. Mutual respect flowed through their house like a river through a valley.

"We missed you two on the train," Devon said, reached over Hickory to shake Regulus' hand. When she stuck her tongue out at him, he only winked in response. "Where did you get off to, you little rascals?"

"We just had some unfinished business to settle. That's all." Regulus flashed them a mischievous smirk before taking a sip of water. Hickory's eyes widened to the size of planets and her cheeks burned as red as her hair. Only her reaction made him recognize his mistake and he attempted to clarify, stuttering over his words while the rest of his friends roared with laughter. "Merlin no! Nothing like that! Never! Over the summer, she bet that she could eat an entire box of Bertie Botts faster than me. It was a competition we've been planning for months!"

"I won, in case anyone was interested," Hickory added happily, flashing Regulus a triumphant little smile, one that exposed her dimples. "Reggie lost his lead by running to the bathroom to throw up."

"I did not!"

"You did! Twice!"

Miriam studied the two for a minute before coming to the conclusion that Hickory had won. Regulus was one of the pickiest eaters she'd ever met. It stemmed from his coming from a rich family, giving him a refined palate. There was no way that he made it past the earwax jelly bean without losing his breakfast. Hickory Banks, a halfblood girl from a middle-class family, would face no such troubles.

"Oh, of course," Eden said, nodding vigorously, "because two beautiful people such as yourselves were totally too busy stuffing yourselves with disgusting jelly beans to notice how empty your compartment was and how attractive each other are. Of course."

"You guys are the worst," Regulus muttered, running his hands through his dark curls a few times. "We're just friends. We'll always be just friends. Get over yourselves already."

"Sure, sure."

"Yep."

"Totally."

"One hundred percent."

"Mhm."

Sensing that there was no winning this argument, Regulus expertly changed the subject from his fake girlfriend and real best friend to the upcoming Quidditch season, a topic most of them were more than happy to discuss. Miriam rolled her eyes at him and turned to tease Hickory, but refrained when she saw the slightly crestfallen expression on her freckled face. She ducked her head, letting her loose red curls hide the hurt in her eyes.