Chapter 4: Weekend's End

I listened to a buzzing sound against wood as I began to wake up. Without even opening my eyes, I turned off my phone. I had set an alarm on it, making sure it only vibrates on my bedside table. If I were to have a ringtone go off at six in the morning, I would have a heart attack. I’m not joking either. My mom knocked on my door, adding an extra alarm to my morning. “I’m awake!” I called, my voice muffled by the pillow in my face. I heard her footsteps go down the hall, probably to the kitchen. I climbed out of bed and grabbed a pair of clothes. I then walked to the bathroom to take a shower. Once I was done, I slipped on the dark jeans and purple long sleeved shirt that I had grabbed. I walked back to my room and put on my shoes.

“I’m leaving now mom!” I called and tossed out an apple core. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I really love apples. My mom nodded in acknowledgement as she gathered up her papers that she needed to bring to work. I grabbed my backpack and ran out of my house towards the bus stop. It wasn’t very far away; I only had a two minute run. There weren’t many people there when I arrived so I just pulled out my mp3 player and put in my headphones. I started playing my favorite songs. I sat down in the grass and waited for the bus to arrive, ignoring everybody who arrived at the bus stop.

Soon, the familiar yellow vehicle pulled up in front of us. I took out my headphones and put the mp3 player away before climbing up the stairs. I walked to the back of the bus and sat next to one of my best friends, Vixen. She was busy looking out the window, listening to music. I grabbed a handful of her extremely red hair and gave a small tug, causing Vixen to glare at me with her angry, green eyes. I smiled as she pulled out her headphones. “I was so close to killing you for that one. Be lucky that you’re my best friend.” She threatened teasingly.

“I know!” I laughed. Vixen just rolled her eyes and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over at the seat next to mine and saw my other best friend, Beanie. She had light blonde hair and blue eyes. She had an obsession with reading, while Vixen loved alternative rock. We were an odd bunch, but great friends nonetheless. “Hello Beanie!” I smiled. Vixen waved and Beanie waved right back.

“Hey guys! What’s up?” Beanie asked. Vixen just shrugged while my face became filled with excitement. “Oh boy, Kate has a story to tell.” Beanie sighed, giggling a little at the end. I folded my arms and pouted.

“My stories aren’t that long! Anyways, I’ll have to tell you later. We are here.” I said and sighed. We passed a sign that read ‘Rosemary High School’ and drove down a road going through the woods. This wasn’t some nature school or anything; it’s just an ordinary high school. It would be hard to figure that out though with the name of the high school and the fact that we drive through a paved road in a forest. The school got the name ‘Rosemary’ from the town though. The town’s name is literally Rosemary Town. Rosemary Town isn’t very big. In fact, it is so small that you can walk anywhere you want in town. There are a few exceptions though, such as Little Creek Stables.

“See you guys at lunch!” Beanie said and ran off to her class. Vixen and I had classes next to each other so we didn’t have to part. I waved goodbye to Beanie before heading towards my first class, Social Studies. When I arrived, half of the class was already seated. I took my seat in the back of the room and waited for the teacher to arrive. She didn’t take very long.

“Good morning, class. I have some exciting news! We have our community service project coming up! I want you all to be looking for topics that will come in handy for you! You had all better have your topics by the end of March.” She said cheerfully right as she stepped in. I wrote down the due date for the topic in a notebook, along with some ideas that I had. Once everybody had written down the news somewhere, the teacher began the lesson.

“Okay, this day is so boring.” Vixen complained as we all sat down at a table in the cafeteria. Beanie and I just gave her ‘are you kidding?!’ looks.

“Normally I’m the one saying the most obvious things. You realize this is Monday, right Vixen? Mondays are always boring! You don’t need to point it out!” I laughed. Vixen glared at me so I quickly shut up, but still grinned.

“She does have a point though.” Beanie said, earning a glare from Vixen as well. I couldn’t help but laugh. Vixen and Beanie joined in shortly as well. “Alright Kate, what’s the news?” Beanie said and looked at me.

I took a bite of my sandwich before answering her. “A new abused horse showed up at Little Creek. His name is Hershey and he is impossible to get near. Whenever I was watching him yesterday with Jake, Storm scared him off. Hershey went running and jumped a large tree that was knocked over in that storm last week.” I said quickly. I didn’t bother giving every little detail because they weren’t as horse obsessed as I was.

Vixen looked over to Beanie. “I think she is going to replace us with that horse now. You know how obsessed she is with show jumping.” Vixen whispered loudly. Beanie nodded in agreement while I just laughed. They always teased me because of my horse obsessions. We all went back to eating lunch before the bell rung.

~Picture to the side is Vixen~

*Author's Note* I'm sorry for posting this like five hours later! I meant to post it sooner but I tend to get distracted...a lot. I made sure to finish this before I had to go to bed though. Comment what you thought, or if there are any grammar errors! See you for my next chapter on Wednesday! ~AyakaTheNightfury