Chapter 4: Maula

Chapter 4: Maula

(trigger warning)

Virat scanned the hall for Sai. He had half expected Sai to show up before him, take him away from the crowd in Sai like manner and parade around the campus showing him the places she liked since the first time they had come to visit the college. His independent wife had refused to take him in for counselling. "She didn't want to see on campus with a cop or adult," she had said to him as he quirked an eyebrow at the adult bit. She had stormed in the office with a smile, her paperwork in hand, and came out with an ID card. She had smiled a cheeky smile he had never seen after that day if he took a moment to reflect. Virat looked at his Aai who was fiddling with her phone. His Aai wouldn't admit it. But Virat knew she was counting down days to meeting Sai. Virat wondered if Aai spoken to Sai or Sai had scarcely contacted her as she did him.

He still remembered his last call with Sai. It had been curt. The second week she'd been in the dormitory he had called her. She'd picked on the second call. It had been a quick call. He'd asked her "Exams kab khatam ho rahe hai?" followed by "Ghar kab aa rahi ho." She had told him she was in the library before disconnecting the call. He'd gazed at the disconnected call for a moment.

Moments after they got down, Aai excused herself. She turned to the entrance. She calmed and paced herself, remembering what Sai taught when Aai pursued her Bachelors in Arts. She smiled, calmed herself and approached one of the students who wore a head mic and an organiser t-shirt and turned to him. "Aap Sai ko jante ho? Sai Joshi. 4th-year medical student hai yahaan. Meri beti hai."

The organiser kid turned to her and then to his friends unsure if he was to divulge Sai's information to a stranger. He shook his head in negative. Then as if remembering something and looking at the disappointment in Aai's face, he smiled at her, "Aap Priyal se pucho. Woh sai ki sabse acchi dost. Maine aaj Sai ko nahi dekha." Aai smiled in gratitude. And then turned towards Priyal. Priyal rushed to Aai before Aai could approach her. She leapt infront of Aai scaring her a little and then engulfed her in a side hug. "Aap Sai ki Aai hai na? Maine aapki tasveer dekhi thi. Sai bohot baat karti hai aapke barein mein. Aur aapka tiffin bohot mazedar hota hai. Main Priyal. Aap mere liye extra tiffin bhejte ho na?"

Aai smiled in relief. "Haan," Aai said as she wiped a lone tear careful not to ruin her makeup. "Priyal. Aapne Sai ko dekha? Dekho na, Sai mera do din se phone nai utha rahi. Uske exams the na aaj. Par mujhe bohot chinta ho rahi hai."

Priyal smiled back at Aai. "Aai, aap tension mat lo. Sai hai toh aisi. Hum kisika phone nai uthati. Hum milke daantenge usse. Waise bhi, Sai ne aaj phone nahi laaya tha. Main aapko hostel extension deti hoon. Aap matron ko bol dena ki aap uski Aai hai. Aur agar Sai ne kuch bola, toh aap mujhe batayega, main daantungi usse."

"Par," Aai started, "Sai college nai aayi?"

"Nai, Aai. Aaj uske exam the na. Subah 8 baje suru hue the. And shaam ko 4-5 baje khatam hue the. Sai thodi der ke liye aayi thi function pe. But uski tabyat thodi theek nai thi aur uska aaj plaster bhi nikal raha hai. Toh woh hospital gayi hogi shayad. Mujhe bhi bina bataye gayi. But main toh Priyal hoon. Mujhe gali gali khabar hota hai Sai ka," Priyal laughed. "Hospital wale bhaiya ne call kiya tha ki woh hospital dorms mein hai. Woh kabhi kabhi Sai batana bhool jati hai and mujhe bohot tension hoti hai Sai ka hostel rehne se. Toh mujhe uski flatmate ya bhaiya batate hai. Sai ki bachpan ki dost hoon na. Aur woh hai hi aisi,"

Priyal's words were assuring to Aai. But they didn't get rid of the unreeling feeling in her heart. Something was wrong. Her gut was scaring her. But Aai knew it wasn't right to prod Sai's friends about Sai. Maybe she would visit Sai at the hostel tomorrow. It was her birthday after all. She would prepare Sai's favorite treats and take them to hostel. Then maybe they could discuss her internship plans for the break. Aai just wanted to hold Sai in her arms and tell her that everything would be okay, no matter what. That her Aai believed her, no matter who did or didn't.