02

Los Angeles 2020 - Los Feliz High School

A school bell rang and students giggled.

Two girls walked through the hall with their heads down as they made their way to one girl's locker.

The girl opened her locker and opened it just before another girl came up to them and greeted, "Hey, underachievers."

"Hey, disappointment," Julie and Reyna replied.

"Okay, I know you two don't want me to ask, but have you two figured out what you're gonna do today?"

"I'll know in the moment."

"Really, Jules, Rey? That's all you're both giving me? Mrs. Harrison said this is both your last chance."

"I know. I was there." Julie let out a sigh.

"See you at the rally!" a girl said.

"Ugh! What is she handing out?" Flynn wondered.

"Hi!" Carrie greeted.

"Desperation?" Julie and Reyna guessed.

Flynn snickered. "Mm."

"Here you go," Carrie said. "My group's performing at the spirit rally tomorrow. I'm sure you guys have nothing better to do."

Flynn spoke in a sarcastic tone. "Oh my gosh, Carrie. Thanks!"

"Oh my gosh, Flynn! Don't bother coming!" She walked away and handed another flyer to someone. "Here you go. Come see Dirty Candy tomorrow. Nick?"

Flynn followed her friend's eyes. "Still? You know they're gonna get married and have a bunch of unholy babies."

"Nick's a sweetheart," Julie said.

"You'd actually have to talk to him to know that. And only one of them has to be a demon to make a demon baby. Demon!" Flynn yelled, looking at Carrie, causing all three girls to snicker. "There's that smile. Now, let's go prove everybody wrong."

The girls chuckled lightly.

MUSIC CLASSROOM

A guitar riff played and the students cheered.

"Wow!" the music teacher said as Carrie giggled. "Nice job, Nick. Almost as impressive as your game against Glendale." Nick chuckled. "Okay, we have our second to last performance." She clapped. "Julie?"

Julie stepped up to the piano and let out a heavy sigh.

"Take your time," the music teacher said.

Julie opened the piano, put her hands on the keys, let out another sigh and stood. "I'm sorry."

Flynn sighed as she stood and Carrie asked, "Is this when we clap?"

"Watch it, Carrie," Flynn retorted.

Students erupted in laughter.

Before Reyna could be told to go up to the piano, she ran out after Julie.

JULIE'S HOME

Julie and Reyna were sitting at the table doing homework. Ever since the disaster with Reyna's parents and what had happened with her sister, Reyna had been staying with Julie, whose father was all for it.

Julie's father walked down the stairs and said, "Oh good. You're both home." Julie closed the book and looked at her father. "I was about to go watch your brother's game. I've had photoshoots all day. Didn't even get a chance to eat. But... I got a phone call today."

"Yeah, Rey and I figured as much," Julie replied as she pulled off her glasses.

Her father sat. "Yeah. Well, it was my realtor friend."