One Shot - Complete

“Really? Because she sure seemed to recognize you.”

Thomas sighed. He wished he could explain to Newt what he knew; what he had seen. The visions, the messages from Teresa herself. But he couldn’t. He would seem crazy, and the last thing he needed was to lose Newt’s trust. He wasn’t sure what he would do if that happened.

He turned and locked eyes with Newt. His jaw was locked, his eyes fierce. There was something in them, something that Thomas couldn’t quite place. There was anger, yes, but something else. The thought passed quickly, but for a moment, he suspected jealousy.

Jealous of what? Thomas thought. My supposed friendship with an unconscious stranger? He dismissed the thought.

“You gonna say something or just keep staring at me all day?” Newt asked, clearly irritated. Thomas cleared his throat and looked away. He hadn’t realized he was staring.

“Sorry,” Thomas answered, heat rising in his cheeks. “It’s just a little startling, I guess. Here I am, thinking I don’t remember anyone, and suddenly someone comes along who knows me. It doesn’t make sense.”

Newt looked back down at Teresa, her jet-black hair sprawled out behind her. It had only been a couple of minutes since her arrival, and already she was causing trouble. For starters, she was a girl, which was strange enough. But she had said Thomas’ name. This lead to a whole new string of questions, ones that Newt didn’t want to answer.

“Someone keep watch on her,” Newt said, the anger fading to softness. He seemed exhausted from the whole ordeal. “I gotta go back to the Garden.” With that, he turned and left the shack.

Thomas knew Newt better than that. The last thing he wanted to do right now was go pick some berries or pull up weeds. After taking one last look at Teresa, and the note she brought with her, he turned and followed Newt out of the shack; he felt like he needed to talk to him.

He had lost sight of Newt but knew exactly where he was going. While walking to the watch tower, he thought about how well him and Newt had gotten along even though he had only spent a week in the Glade. He had always been helpful to Thomas, answering almost any question he had and treating him like a genuine friend, not just a Greenie. For that, Thomas was thankful. Almost everyone around the Glade except Chuck treated him like either a piece of klunk or some savior after saving Alby in the Maze. He wasn’t sure what he ever felt like, but Newt always made him feel like he was normal.

He climbed the rungs of the ladder and found Newt leaning over the railing, looking out at the Glade. Thomas stood there for a moment, watching. The bright sun reflected off of Newt’s strawberry-blonde hair, showing off each messy strand. His shirt was tight against his back, revealing the curves of his muscles underneath. Newt was surprisingly strong and built for someone who was tall and almost scraggly looking.

He walked over and leaned against the railing right next to Newt. Newt didn’t say anything at first; he didn’t even acknowledge that he was there. Thomas was about to say something when Newt beat him to it.

“I’m not mad at you,” he stated, eyes staring straight ahead.

Thomas turned and looked at Newt, not sure how to respond. He was relieved that Newt wasn’t mad; but then again, how was any of this his fault?

“You aren’t?” he asked after a moment’s pause.

“No,” Newt answered, looking down. “It’s not like you made her come up here, or anything.”

They stood there in silence for a little while, looking out at the Glade and its massive stone walls.

“I just--” Newt started, then stopped. He scratched his neck, looking flustered. “I just wish I knew what was going on. This place is filled with so many questions that we don’t have the answers to. Just when we start to figure out some, a whole wrench is thrown in the works.”