ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

A moment. That's all it takes. One or two seconds to remember it all. Then it is over. All of it. Over.

Letting out a soft sigh, Clove Knox glanced at the body of water below. Biting the edge of her lip as the sinking feeling of numbness took hold of her heart. Only a second to end this game of sadness. No longer plagued by the guilt and shame of what could have been. That's what this was, right? Finding the solution of expiring the extensive deliberations.

Her fingers gripped the railing, unsure if this was the right decision. But what other option did she truly have? Stay alive and continue to be a slave of this devilish universe? Be beaten down by this life?

Clove knew deep down, her happiness may never return.

Even the bravest woman alive could bear the flaws of reality.

"If you're going to jump, I bet it'll take you 7 minutes."

Allowing her lungs to relax, Clove snaps her bewildered gaze at a young man. Perhaps around her age. A similar height. And above all else, the same look of stillness filled his dark brown eyes. She could see that much underneath the street lamp attached to the lone bridge.

At first, Clove gave the young man with the stupid mohawk a look of distaste. Was this his way of stopping her? Give this stranger an exact time of how long it will take for them to die in the frigid waters. What a brilliant idea.

"What do you care?" Clove hissed, readjusting her fingers around the railing. "Where did you come from?"

"I always come here for a walk. Away from the noise." He admits, admiring the night sky. As if this whole situation was normal. "And I care because I don't think you want to do it."

"Oh, shut it. What do you know?" Clove spat, slightly taken aback by his calmness and precise theory.

The man she had never seen before leaned his arms against the dark green railing, tilting his head to get a better look. A beautiful woman stood on the other side of this railing. The wind inflicts strands of curls to sway across her high cheekbones. Underneath her eyes a soft ting of red. Lips pinched together due to mixed emotions.

Yeah, he had been there before. Way too often if anyone had asked him. Luckily, he never got to the point of daggling on the edge of a bridge. But he knew the feeling way too well.

"I know. I've been there. If you wanted to jump, you would have done it. Instead of talking to me, you'd be down there." The corner of his lips curls into a charming smile as his chin rests in the pit of his arm. "Am I wrong?"

Clove licks her lip and glanced at the dark water.

Did she want to end it? It would be easier to allow her soul to leave this world. However, as the clock ticked, the more she began to realize death wasn't the end game here.

Instead of giving this stranger the satisfaction, Clove gave him yet another dirty glare. If he hadn't interrupted her moment, she might have been gone by now. Saying thank you wasn't in her blood.

"How about you get out of here and let me die in peace, asshole!"

The man raised one brow before taking a deep breath. In a swift motion, he stands up straight and boosts himself over the railing to settle beside her. His combat boots awkwardly adjust underneath him as he wraps his fingers around the only support keeping him alive. With a nervous chuckle, the man bats his eyes at the woman who gave him a look of shock. Their knuckles touch the other as their glances connect.

"If you jump, lady, I will come after you. And if we both die - I might just annoy you in hell."

Clove bites the inside of her cheek. This being the craziest thing she had seen anyone do for her. Someone she knew nothing about wanting to keep her from certain death.

Why?

"Are you stupid?" Clove shouts.

The man shakes his head with a prideful grin. She wanted to smack him, perhaps push him over for being idiotic, but as she gazed at his smile, Clove finally gave in to his demand. With a scoff, she carefully turned herself around and climbed over. Landing on her feet with ease.

With his grin still over his lips, the young man attempts to do the same. Only to slip slightly. Nearly falling into the waters. Clove took his arm as he readjusted his footing, laughing nervously at his clumsiness.

"Don't do that," Clove grumbled as she helped him over to the safe side of the bridge.

Doubled over, the man nods his head with agreement. Allowing his lungs to catch air.

"Don't - don't do that again," he says breathlessly, "I don't usually do that for anyone and I damn sure don't know how many times I can."

Clove blinked at him, and then suddenly a girlish chuckle left her lips. Not because what he said tickled her, but the mere fact that he decided to play hero for some woman he knew nothing about. It made her remember that it is still good in this world. Even if hope seems bleak.

"Juan Carlos," Juan held out his hand once he stood straight up.

Clove smiles at her Prince Charming, slipping her hand into his, "Clove Knox."