01

Imani lays on her back, comforted by the silky white sheets beneath her. The bed smelled of roses and almonds. Rain pelted the firm window beside the bed. It was the perfect setting for a night like this. She sighed at the thought of her lover....Shadow. He was still at work by this time of the hour. "I'll be back before Midnight...." he told Imani before leaving out of the crimson-colored door. Imani's eyes constantly flicked back to the silver-studded clock hanging from the wall. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Her yearn to be close to him grew stronger by the second....

    To smell his pleasant aroma....to see those beautiful gems he called eyes....and to feel his strong chest and arms wrap around her body....slowly engulfing her in passion....This is what she had fantasized about. Many days, the two would spend hours upon hours cuddling underneath each other, with Shadow subtly kissing Imani's body. The peaceful serenity granted by the silence in their apartment made these types of moments even more enchanting. Coincidentally, nothing ever interrupted them.

    Though, overtime Imani feared that this fantasy-like love would end. It all felt so imaginary. They were extremely happy together, which didn't seem realistic to Imani. She would reminisce on the many years when she was alone in her empty, dark apartment....and when Shadow came along, completely clueless of what they would become, she was for once alleviated of this loneliness. It had not hit her yet until further down the line when the voidish memories became distant and almost like that girl that she happened to be was another person. She spent her days stressing over how things were going and it honestly was time that was wasted. Valuable time.

    Imani's stomach turned just thinking about it. If only she could go back and tell her past self that everything would be okay.....

    The dent left in her being from that time had not yet healed, but thanks to Shadow, the process had started. She was working on a few things, such as not worrying about what the future would hold for the two of them and just making the most of the time they had together in the present. She practically worried every week, wondering if they would make it in the long run. Everytime they disagreed on even the littlest things, Imani would go out of her way to almost beg him to forgive her for having a different opinion than him....not that he conditioned her to be this way or anything. She was simply afraid of things returning back to the way they were. Her alone in the dark....

   "Maybe it's best if I just let him go...then I won't have any chances to have my heart broken....I guess being too happy is too much for me....feels like adrenaline rushing to your head begging you to crack a bigger smile than the one you already have.....it's overwhelming honestly..." Imani thought.

    She sat up and grabbed the note Shadow would leave under her pillow next to his. "I don't think I gave you permission to mope, love. Now did I? I wonder what's bothering you now....is it my intense shedding this month or how roughly I kissed you yesterday...or maybe both....either way, I'll warm you up somehow~"

   Imani's face became hot and a broken smile came to her face. Surely he'd be home any minute now...As if her anticipation would make Shadow's commute any easier.

    Imani sits up a bit in the bed, watching shadows flicker past the window. These definitely weren't Shadow's shadows. He walked with formality and confidence, a walk so distinct from all the rest. Imani then hears the voices of some people or someone coming upstairs. She carefully listens to it, searching for that deep, yet soothing tone. Ah, deep but not soothing. A bit too cheery.

    She looked at the clock on the wall. It was nearing Midnight and her lover still had not come. She sighed heavily and pulled the covers over her head.

[23 mins. Later]

    Creeeeek. Imani ignores the sound and covers her ears with her pillow. At this point she didn't care. The vibe that she had created for the two of them had dissipated. She began to feel something caressing her delicate face. Or rather, someone...."Is it a robber?....or a murderer?" Too afraid to open her eyes, Imani just decides to pretend like she's asleep. "Wake up, my little cupcake. I've got something for you~" the voice says, succeeding to sound as alluring as possible. Imani opens her eyes to see a sizzling jet black hedgehog laying next to her.

  "Shad-" Imani starts before being cut off. "Shhhh, be quiet. You'll ruin the moment~" Shadow whispers. "I don't care. You're late. The mood I had for us tonight is long gone. What kept you so long? I thought you said you'd be home by Midni-"

   Imani's outburst was quickly drawn to a close by the sudden contact of Shadow's lips pressing against hers. "Oh no no no. He's not gonna win me over this easily. Must...resist..." Imani thinks while effortlessly resisting reciprocating the kiss back. Shadow moves a bit closer to her, grabbing her waist as he went. Imani closed her eyes in an attempt to not be seduced by Shadow's face. "So that's how it is, eh~?" he sighs in defeat.

  Believing that Shadow would be trying to fall asleep by now, Imani opened her eyes once again...only to  see him hovering her. "...I give up." 

  She pulls him onto her and the two begin to make out. That joyous feeling Imani would always have arose and filled her body. Even in the midst of them kissing, she managed to smile.

  Feeling the curving of Imani's lips, Shadow breaks away and smirks. " I told you I'd warm you up didn't I?" he bragged.

  "Oh, shut up." Imani gushes. The tranquility of the moment lasted for what seemed like a lifetime. Their auras had consumed each other again. And like all the other times, this time was better than the last.

A/N: The other chapters I wrote for this book have been deleted. They do not reflect my current maturity and ideas at all. They were written when I was just entering my teens, so you know how that goes.