Wicked Ways Die Hard

The silence of the night was overbearing; The soft chirping of the crickets, the prominent whispers from the alleyways, the loud snores from the ramshackle buildings, somehow, all seemed to be eclipsed by the pure, eminent, lull of midnight. The island never seemed to sleep though; always yelling and shouting and pounding like a beating heart, and with every thump in its core came another sound, another crime, another silent night in the worst place on Earth.

Abestellos Isle was founded in the year 1893 with good intentions, as most things are. But good intentions usually end up revealing the worst of them and the Isle was certainly no exception to that rule. Originally the isle was created to kill two birds with one stone; Get dangerous criminals far away from the population of Renvelir and to reform them at the same time by giving them the freedom to live on their own. In theory the system seemed promising but the Sorcerer's Satorum neglected to provide them with a stable economic foundation, which certainly was not accidental. The ministry would claim that they had no time to exchange the capital needed for survival due to the strict time restraints placed on them by the prisons or that they couldn't come to a strong enough consensus but the people of the isle knew otherwise. They were forgotten, thrown to the curb because of their actions, because they were too wicked, too evil to be kept close to any sort of human population. They were dehumanized, hidden away on an enchanted island because their country was so ashamed of them.

Beaten and hopeless many of the previous inmates began to plan ahead, building homes, fishing, farming, attempting to survive. Some, furious and embarrassed, began to plot their revenge, trying to find a way off of their new, so proclaimed, paradise.

The Island itself is small, bigger than the one Maledumfici school lays atop but still small enough to seem claustrophobic after a while. The Island was once covered in vegetation; Bright green grass and vibrantly colored flowers covered the terrain whilst a giant hill rose from the middle of the island casting a natural shadow upon it. There was a small natural harbor on the east side although it was, and still is, generally unused for, as a parting gift, the Satorum placed an impenetrable barrier around the isle, prohibiting any entry or exit by any person besides the cargo ships that delivered provisions every month or the agents that used to patrol every other week.

For five years afterwards there was a somewhat steady flow of inmates as the city began to emerge, the people building it from the ground up. But one day, in the frozen December of 1902, the boats stopped coming and if they did come they brought little food, Parliament stopped caring and the Island crumbled with starvation claiming the land and disease claiming its people. It carried on in such a manner for decades until Tareos Devonworth took the office of the Prime Minister in the late 1980s and decreed that a select number of children from the isle would be taken from to the mainland as to initiate the first step to integration. These children were, supposedly, the offspring of the most nightmarish witches and wizards to walk the land and were some of the most wicked people on Earth. The children's mannerisms would only be revealed when they separated from their parents and that only happened in the year 1993.

**************************

The day started like every other one did; Ozwin woke to the sound of her mother's screams as she shouted at the people in the streets. Her mother's coarse, demanding voice always left a tingle of fear in her throat like a child feels when the power cuts out during a thunderstorm; pure terror in actuality. Just the thought of her yells reminded Ozwin of the countless lectures and ruthless retaliation that she would receive from her mother as a child when she would resist the call of the wicked or her mother's imposing beliefs and desires. But those days were long gone and, as everyday passed, Ozwin felt herself sinking deeper and deeper into the sinkhole that was evil, into the isle and its intentions, and into her mother's will causing her to lose all her's.