Chapter 1

The last time she saw those golden locks she was just ten years old. She was sitting in her mother's room, shaking, listening to her uncle's calming words. Her aunt was holding her mom's hand, saying that everything was going to be just fine, that she was going to survive the night.

"You're strong," her aunt had whispered.

Erica shook her head as she watched the queen of Terrasen, walking through the streets of the capital. She watched the man beside her. She had to admit that Aedion Ashryver looked as bad as she always imagined. All she ever wanted was to see how exactly did Lysandra's death affect him.

She jumped from her hiding spot and went back to the Assassins' Keep. Erica came in and went straight to her master's office.

"Yes?" Tern asked.

"She is here," Erica said and sat down in front of his desk. She looked down at her hands, realizing that she was shaking just as she did that night. Fear ran through her veins. "She may come."

"And what do you expect me to do? Aelin Galathynius can come here whenever she wants. She is a queen after all..."

"You are afraid of her."

Not a question, but her master nodded. "She can actually burn us, Erica. Don't you understand that?"

"I am not afraid of her."

Tern rolled his eyes. "Then I suppose that you don't need to go out of the city for her visit."

Erica didn't answer. Tern was the only one who knew the truth. After her mom's death, she ran away from home, leaving her dad and her three brothers. And she came here. Her mother never actually liked Tern or any of the assassins, but she said that there was no safer place than a house full of assassins.

"I'm going to my room," Erica said. Her voice sounded rough and terrible. Nothing common with her mom's.

All the way to her room, Erica thought about her.

Her mother was way too young to die, Erica knew that. Her father told her that during one of their rare conversations. He never actually liked her as much as he liked her twin brother. She was the daughter he never wanted. She was the odd one.

And her mom was the only one who actually cared about her. Erica reminded herself that if she didn't die, she was going to stay home. She closed her door and looked up at the ceiling, which she and Tern painted when she first came here. The night sky.

Erica took a deep breath and sat near the window. Her eyes widen as she saw Aelin Galathynius coming to the front door. Alone.

Gods.

Erica waited for her to come in the Keep and opened the window. She looked at the tree carefully. Was she really going to go down like this? She had no choice, she reminded herself.

If Aelin Galathynius saw her, she would sent her back home. And if she sent her back home, she would have to face her father and brothers.

So she came down the tree. She jumped on the ground and started walking, trying to escape the keep. But then strong pair of arms grabbed her.

Fear slid in her stomach as those strong hands put her against the tree. Erica closed her eyes, trying to imagine a lion or a wolf so she could turn in it. She kicked the man, holding her after she realized she couldn't change, but he was too strong.

So Erica opened her eyes to see the silver-haired fae with green eyes. Rowan Whitethorn, the king of Terrasen, Erica's uncle and the husband of the most powerful person that had ever been, smiled at his niece, as he was saying that everything was alright. She could finally change into herself again.