Chapter 16

From this moment on, I'm declaring that this cluster - our cluster - is to cease all courting of (Y/N) Maidry

The words are like a bomb to Bruno, a feeling akin to his soul fleeing his body washing over him in a tidal wave, his small pelvic fins slowly falling still against his sides as his world spirals into a single, unwavering point; Giorno's eyes.

The young leader looks calm. His mouth is set into a soft, neutral frown and his his eyes are relaxed, blond eyebrows set into a resting, natural furrow.

But his eyes - no, the light in his eyes - tell a different story.

The two, bright green points are pulsing slowly and flickering like a dying flame in the steadily fading evening light, giving the normally composed Don a sense of defiant defeat.

Mista shifts off of Abbacchio and the odd stare down is broken.

"Do. . ." Bruno flicks his gaze back towards the group, catching Narancia's devastated stare and Fugo's blank look before he faces Giorno again. "A-are we all in agreement of this. . . declaration?"

"That's what we were fighting about." Bruno turns his eyes back towards the injured mers. Mista doesn't meet his eyes nor does he elaborate, brown eyes dull and exhausted

As much as Bruno wishes he did, the ceaclia doesn't need to.

"Who. . . who all agreed?"

Fugo scoffs, snapping harshly, "Does it even matter? We're forbidden from courting her now, simple as-"

"Fugo, and Abbacchio agreed. . ." Fugo hisses at Narancia's cut-in, but the younger mer doesn't take the obvious bait. Glancing at Giorno, Narancia only continues when the Don nods. "Me and Mista didn't agree, and I guess. . ." His fins fold flat, and he casts Bruno a guilty side eye, head angling premptively to expose his neck. "I guess we all sorta agreed to not really count you since you weren't here."

"I see." The SIC tries not to let a flash of irritation show on his face, though he's a bit embarrassed to see Narancia flinch a little, likely having heard his mild annoyance. Glancing around with an apologetic click, Bruno hums. "And Mista was the only one willing to fight?"

There's a sharp, almost derisive snort and Bruno shoots a sharp glare at the offender. Fugo stares back at him, half-lidded eyes pulled into a bored and uninterested stare. "The only one able to, more like."

Seeing Bruno's small pelvic fins flex in a small show of interest, Fugo motions with a rough hand. "Think about it Bruno; I'd accidentally poison my opponent," his hand goes out, point harshly at the second youngest of the group. "Narancia is still recovering from the fights at the meetings," his thumb whips around, jabbing aggressively towards their Don. "And Giorno was the one to make the claim." Fugo tips his head again, tail curling loosely in his version of a shrug. "Common sense."

Panting a small bit, Mista pipes in, "Besides, me and Abbacchio had things to work out anyway, so that was a perfect opportunity." Abbacchio growls lowly, having finally pulled himself off the sandy ocean floor to float beside an anxious looking Narancia.

Bruno's eyebrow raises, cocking up a little farther when he actually notes that Giorno has quite a few injuries that Bruno hadn't quite take note of before. A few crisscrossing scratches, and a single shallow bite that landed squarely across his collarbones. From the angle, it looked like it had been a surprised bite, like the attacked party had been caught off guard.

As his mouth opens, Giorno's slight narrow eye and head shake deters him.

For the time being, at least.