Chapter 1

"Seeing as both your parents are deceased, the next course of action would be to send you to your next of kin, Ms. L/N."

My eyes widen. "All of my aunts and uncles live out of the country, sir. I don't speak any language besides Italian," I argue, "there's no way."

"Is a Mr...." my lawyer trailed off, scanning his papers for the name, "Bruno Bucciarati not your elder brother?"

"Well, yes, but he's my adoptive brother, I rarely-"

"Adoptive, biological, it's all the same in the paperwork." He cuts me off, "In fact, I've already contacted Mr. Bucciarati and he's agreed to take you in."

The large man shuffles in his desk chair. He straightens out his papers with a huff.

"I suggest that you pack your belongings, Ms. L/N. You have a flight to Napoli tomorrow afternoon."

Finality seeps into the air. I'd try to argue my way out, but I know the answer. Until I'm a legal adult, I have no say in where I'm taken or who I'm with.

I just hope that my brother is the same kind boy that I remember him as.

_ _ _ _ _

The Napoli International Airport is noisy, filled with star struck tourists and cranky businessmen. I can hear the pleasantly robotic voice announcing the coming and going of flights.

Napoli is nothing like Milan.

I shake my head, brushing out my intrusive thoughts.

You've been places alone, Y/N. You'll be fine! Just focus on finding your bag on the belt.

Like magic, the large suitcase careens down the conveyor belt, a brightly colored sticker pressed to its side.

The people around me reluctantly step back to let me through. I take my suitcase by the handle, struggling to pull it up over the safety railing. It's not too much trouble though, and I'm soon rolling my bag away, looking for an open seat in the open room.

It's so loud that I can barely form a cohesive train of thought. I'm turning around every three minutes because I think that my name is being called.

"Y/N?"

When I whip around, I'm surprised to find that it wasn't a hallucination. A man is standing in front of me.

He's wearing an expensive white suit, dotted with black print and zippers dangling from every seam. His leather shoes clack as he drops his foot down, standing regally.

"Bruno?" I ask.

The man nods, a slight smile gracing his face.

I rush into his arms, catching him off guard. Sniffling, I utter rushed apologies.

"I'm so sorry, Bruno. So, so sorry."

Bruno wraps his arms around me, rubbing my back to try and comfort me.

"What are you apologizing for? You did nothing wrong, Y/N." His chin rests on the top of my head.

"I haven't seen you in years! And when your dad was in the hospital, Mom didn't come and visit. I didn't even know. I'm so sorry for not being there!" I wail, clutching the back of his suit jacket.

"That's why you're so upset? Y/N, look at me."

He steps back, forcing me to stop clinging to him. My hands are soon brought into his as he attempts to calm me down.

"You were a child, Y/N. It's not your fault. I was hoping that you'd remember me, though. I am your big brother, after all." He chuckles.

I only sink back into a sobbing mess.