CHAPTER III: COME AS YOU ARE

A/N: Unedited. 

Jules didn't really pay attention to the staring on her first day of American high school. She was too sleepy to really care, dragging herself out of bed and forcing herself to pull on the first things she could out of the wardrobe she had spent most of Sunday unpacking at last. Most of her clothes were from the vintage stores and flea markets she had been obsessed with since childhood in Paris, a lover of all things quirky and aged. 

This time she had donned a dark grey Keith Richards t-shirt with pink bold letters spelling out 'JE NE REGRETTE RIEN' around his pink bust, tucked into faded 501s. She was more proud of herself for being coherent enough to pick a pink vintage Dior coat to match her t-shirt than she was anything else.

If her outfit wasn't loud enough in a town where most people wore hiking gear as fashion, she certainly did not help the staring with her grand entrance- skating into the parking lot of Forks High on a pair of bright blue retro skates with vivid yellow laces and yellow wheels to match. She looked perfectly unfazed, the chilly wind flowing through her hair, biting into half-eaten multigrain bagel with a stainless steel tumbler of coffee in her other hand. Earphones flowed down from her gold pierced ears, blasting Rebel Rebel loud enough that the teenagers she whizzed past could catch a muffled guitar flare.

Jules didn't come to a stop until she'd reached an empty bench, her bagel finished as she daintily wiped her lips of any crumbs before making quick work of swapping her skates for dark brown loafers. And then she was off, her skates flung by their tied-together laces over her tall shoulder, the same one that sported her hand-painted backpack. She continued to sip her drink as she rushed, making sure her stride was too fast for anyone to try to speak to her, the earphones and loud music a clear message that matched the look in her eyes- I'm not in the mood.

And yet, like magic, her expression shifted entirely as she entered the small reception of the administrative building, poor Mrs Cope doing a double take. "Bonjour! Is this where I am supposed to pick up my schedule?"

"Oh! Oh yes, you must be Miss Rowe, we've been expecting you." Mrs Cope jumped into action, flustered as the amused brunette ventured further into the room and up to the desk, setting her coffee down on the counter. Forcibly, she kept the smile stretched upon her lips. Always stay in the good books of the receptionist. The greying stout woman flittered through stacks of paper, clearly in a state. "Most of our students came and picked up their schedules and books last week during orientation, so the good news is you won't have to wait any lines. Aha! That's where that went."

"Right, Juliette Elizabeth Rowe. Sixteen years old?" Mrs Cope returned with a bright smile.

"August the 22nd, 1986." Jules confirmed with a nod. "I hope all the paperwork is in order, I did request for English translations but I'm not sure how they came out."

"Oh it's all fine dear." Mrs Cope waved off, starting to set out paper after paper. "Now, this here is a map of the school, I've marked out a code over the classes you've signed up for, and I wrote them out on your schedule. Hopefully you won't get lost- it's not all that big but you never know. This here is your schedule, you'll start every day at homeroom, that's here, with Mister Berty. He's one of the English teachers here, he'll be yours for this year. This is where your locker is, I've marked it down as L on the map. Here's the number, and here's the combination. Now, very important, I need each of your teachers to sign this and I need you to bring it here at the end of today. If you need anything else don't hesitate to come back right here and I'll help you out, alright?"

"I think I've got it, thank you so much Mrs Cope." Jules absorbs all the information as best as she can as the kind woman beams again at her. "Have a wonderful day."