enchanted (solinh)

solinh songfic to Enchanted by Taylor Swift

uh. yeah that's all--

tw: alcohol, loneliness? at the beginning?

word: 2107 including the song itself which was a little more than 300 words

There I was again tonight forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired, lonely place

Sophie sighed.

Right away she covered it up with a laugh, feigning amusement as the rest of the table roared with entertainment, banging their fists against the table and hooting in laughter. She couldn't sigh, it would seem like she wasn't having fun—which she wasn't but Sophie would have to pretend for then.

She doubted anyone would notice her anyway; no one ever did. She'd been coming here for many nights but still, no one knew her as anything but the young blonde woman who sat on the edge of the table, staring off into space vacantly. She never interacted with the other regulars, never spoke a word. They'd tried talking to her at the beginning but she'd ignored them, and eventually they'd given up.

Sophie didn't know how she felt about that.

The table she was sitting at was loud, boisterous as ever. Yet the whole restaurant, small as it was, seemed to radiate a deep sadness. The paint on the walls was peeling, flakes of grey falling down and only adding to the thick layer of dust everywhere. Each time someone banged the table, a thick cloud of dust would appear in the air, unsettled by the disruption.

Outside it was dark, the moon and stars invisible as shadows shrouded every surface. The streets were empty, silent in the night. No one came to this part of town, not if they valued their self-worth. 

There were only five people at the table, people Sophie met almost every night but people that still seemed alien to her. They were so different, so free and uncaring about the consequences of the world. They'd order beer from the waitress and laugh at their own jokes, eyes slowly closing and speech blurring as they downed glass after glass of alcohol.

They probably did have worries, Sophie supposed. Everyone did, everyone had insecurities lurking beneath the surface. No one was completely carefree.

But it didn't seem like the other customers at the restaurant did. Sophie envied the way they could push it all aside and enjoy themselves, forming friendships with each other. Maybe they had no life other than coming down to this beat-up restaurant, ordering rounds, and gambling their heart away, but they were happy. Content.

Sophie wished she could be so carefree. But she came here not to escape her troubles, but to dwell on them. 

Walls of insincerity
Shifting eyes and vacancy vanished when I saw your face

The large woman with long, curly black hair who sat near Sophie ordered another glass of alcohol. She was clearly drunk but continued playing cards with her friend, evidently losing but not caring.

Sophie sighed, heavier and louder this time, turning her attention back to staring out the window vacantly. The faint glow of streetlights was the only light outside, softly illuminating the streets and run-down buildings in the area.

The door swung open with a long squeak, and Sophie glanced at the entrance, curious. It was rare that someone came here. There were the regulars like Sophie of course, but newcomers would come in once and never come back. It would most likely be the same with this person, whoever they were.

The person stepped inside, a hood covering their face and hiding their features. They lowered the hood, revealing their face.

All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you