A Friendly Presence (Part 2)

My mother was surprised when I texted her on the way to Andy's, telling her that I would be home later than usual because I was at a friend's house.
  You finally made some new friends? When did this happen? What are their names? She had practically blown up my phone with questions.
  I replied with as little detail as possible. I didn't want her to find out the real reason I was hanging out with these kids, or how I had even met them in the first place. It seemed a little pathetic.
Once we arrived at Andy's apartment, him, Falyn and Pugg settled down in a few beanbags to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3. I plopped down onto mine, debating on wether or not I should voice my concerns about the movie of their choice.
In the end, I decided to try to keep Chucky distracted with games on my phone as they watched the gorey film.
I was playing Flappy Bird as Chucky watched curiously, seated on my lap while the movie droned on in the background.
Suddenly, Chucky wriggled free of my grasp and hopped onto the floor, waddling over to Andy's side.
"Andy, you wanna play now?" he asked, tapping Andy's leg.
"Not now, Chucky," Andy growled, his voice rough with irritation.
I gritted my teeth in anger. Andy was supposed to be Chucky's best friend, but he wouldn't even look at the poor thing!
"Hey, c'mere, Chucky," I whispered, motioning for him to come back.
He scuttled back my way, a frown on his face. My anger dwindled into sadness.
Immediately, I scooped him up and cuddled him like a baby. His frown lifted a bit and his eyes seemed to glow a little brighter as I smoothed my fingers through his hair lovingly.
"C'mon, I'll go play with you," I murmured, getting up and making my way to Andy's bedroom.
  I set Chucky down on the floor and skimmed through Andy's books, board games, and toys.
  "What do you wanna play, honey? We can play Monopoly, or Candy Land. Or, I can read you a book!" I prompted.
  Chucky blinked. "Can we read Andy's science books?" he piped.
  "Of course we can, but it's not a science book, goofball," I chuckled, choosing a book at random and returning to Chucky. I lifted him up and onto Andy's bed, plopping down next to him.
  I wrapped an arm around him as I read, and after a while he rested his head against me.
  Once I finished the book, I set it aside and looked down at Chucky. He gazed up at me excitedly, and my heart swelled with happiness at his enjoyment.
  "Aww, you're too precious," I gushed, gathering him to my chest and hugging him close. "If I were Andy my heart would have already melted."
  He smiled from ear to ear, holding onto me tightly as if he didn't want the moment to end.
  "I wish Andy would play with me and give me hugs," he suddenly told me.
  I placed my hand on the side of his face, rubbing his freckled cheek soothingly. Anger began to rise in my throat like bile, but I pushed it down.
  "I'm sorry Andy doesn't give you much attention. You deserve so much more love," I cooed, placing a kiss to his forehead.
  His adorable smile remained. I cradled him close again and gently rocked him back and forth, petting his hair.
  I didn't realize how much time had passed, because only a few minutes later, Andy entered his bedroom.
  I managed to smile. "Hey. The movie over?"
  "Yeah. Falyn and Pugg went home, so I'm gonna go to bed."
  Trying not to look disappointed, I nodded and slid off his bed, making my way over to him to hand him the android.
  "Actually, um, if it's not too much to ask... do you think you can take him to your place tonight? I haven't been able to sleep for the past few days, 'cause he keeps me up all night singing that stupid song," he snorted in amusement.
  It's not stupid.
  "Yeah, no problem! I don't mind at all," I beamed, giving Chucky a squeeze.
  "Alright, well, goodnight," he said, walking past me.
  I hurried out of the apartment, trying not to let the anger I felt for Andy's treatment of the doll overcome the joy I felt at having more time to spend with Chucky.
  I entered my apartment, my mom seemingly asleep as she was nowhere in sight. I carried Chucky to my room, closing the door softly behind me.
  My room was a bit messy, but cozy overall. My bed was lined with a few stuffed animals, and the mostly dark space was dimly lit by salt lamps and fairy lights.
  "This is my room," I explained to Chucky.
  He tilted his head. "Why did Andy make me go away?"
  My heart practically shattered for him. "I guess he doesn't want you bothering him while he's trying to sleep. But it's okay, I don't mind."
  I kicked my shoes off and crawled into bed, not even bothering to change into pajamas.
  I crawled under the blanket and snuggled into the many pillows, holding Chucky to my chest and tucking some hair behind his ear.
  "You can sleep up here with me tonight, and I'll stay up with you all night if I have to, okay, sweetheart? We'll do whatever you want."
  He perked up a bit, his glowing blue eyes softly illuminating the pillows around us. "Do you wanna sing the Buddi Song?"
  I smiled warmly, holding his head under my chin. "Sure, baby. You sing your little heart out."
"You are my buddy, until the end. More than a buddy, you're my best friend. I love you more than you will ever know, I will never let you go," he crooned.
My aching heart began to heal, and I nuzzled my nose into his hair affectionately.
"Oh, thank you, honey," I murmured.
I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. From now on, I was going to be here for him. I'd make sure he wasn't lonely.
"Goodnight, Chucky."
"Goodnight, (Y/n)!"
And maybe, when the time was right, I could take him far away from this place.