chapter 1: life of a different kind

June 4th, 1940, montreal locomotive works

as the brass fitted crowns were placed on the side panel, one of the first locomotives built as a royal hudson was completed, and pushed out of the build shed to be fired up for the first time.

the engine was moved to the water tower and oil tanker to do a boiler test, the engine's tender was hooked up to the two liquid containers, and the water injector valve was opened, waiting until the boiler was mostly filled, then lighting a oil coated rag into the firebox, lighting instantaneously.

while the builders and engineers had gotten used to it, the engine waking up was still jarring.

with a yawn, a gray face appeared on the front of the boiler, taking a look around its surroundings. 

they were in a decently sized factory yard, bustling and clanging of their family being built.

they looked down at the humans in front of them, deciding to introduce themselves.

"bonjour là, je m'appelle rachelle."(hello there, my name is rachelle) they said in a feminine voice.

"euh bonjour ... rachelle.  vous sentez-vous mal à l'aise en ce moment?" (uh hello... rachelle. do you feel uncomfortable right now?) The worker in front of her asked.

No that the worker had mentioned it, she did feel a bit stiff, but considering she was just finished, she brushed it off as being normal.

"Non." She responded.

"bon, nous sommes sur le point d'amener votre chaudière au-delà de sa pression recommandée pour la tester.  si cela devient trop inconfortable, faites-le nous savoir et nous arrêterons le processus."

(good, we are about to bring your boiler past its recommended pressure to test it. if it becomes too uncomfortable, let us know and we'll stop the process.) The worker said.

Its safe to say that the boiler test when off without a problem, the men safely bringing the the boiler past 275 psi.

After two weeks, the last engine, #2864, was fired up. This one didn't have a face, and so did another, #2862.

That leaves 2860, 2861 and 2863 the only ones with faces.

2861 and 2863 or shaylor and rey, rey being male and shaylor female.

======================================

After more testing, it was already July.

The workers gathered up the faced engine's drivers to tell them where they were to go.

"J'espère vraiment que nous ne serons pas séparés." (I really hope we don't get separated.) said rey.

"j'en doute," Said rachelle. "J'ai entendu dire que nous allions à un endroit appelé Vancouver." (I doubt that, I heard that we're going to a place called Vancouver.)

But before the other two engines could respond, another voice piped up.

"et tu as raison." Rachelle's driver had entered the shed they were stored in. (And you're right.)

"en fait, vous êtes tous" (in fact, all of you are.)

The three big engines took a sigh of relief, but it was short-lived.

"malheureusement, nous ne vous accompagnerons pas, nous n'étions que des chauffeurs temporaires pour vous aider dans la cour, vos vrais chauffeurs arriveront bientôt." (unfortunately, we won't be accompanying you, we were just temporary drivers to help you around the yard, your actual drivers will arrive soon.)

"eh bien, au revoir." (Oh well, goodbye.)

"au revoir."

======================================

About a half hour later ten men entered the shed with the yard manager.

"bonjour, ils seront vos chauffeurs, ils parlent anglais, ce que vous connaissez, tous les moteurs construits au Québec connaissent l'anglais et le français." (hello, they will be your drivers, they speak English, which you do know, all engines built in Quebec know English and French.) Said the yard manager.

"Well, yes, we do, wouldn't get very far without knowing English." Said rey.

Good, so as one of the builders must have informed you three, you'll all be going to Vancouver, which is at minimum a three day trip."

(A/N: the blue line is their route

(A/N: the blue line is their route.)

To make the trip take less time, you have a second tender waiting out in the yard, they are the ones that have the crest on them, your numbers are on the back. You'll have time to get to know your drivers on the way. Now get going."

The drivers jumped up into their cabs and started up the fires.

After building up enough steam, they went out into the yard, where they were connected to their extra tenders, topped up on oil and water, and left for Vancouver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello again! I am aware that this is not like anything I've uploaded before, but the fact that their story has yet to be told in this way, I decided I would do it myself!

They were the top class locomotives, even royal. But telling the story when they're just machines without personality is stale.

I just need something to write.