Chapter One

"I don't want to leave this bed," Uma whines happily against Mal's shoulder. The couple had been in bed together for three days, only getting up for bathroom breaks, and down to the dining room for meals, then back to bed. Living in a modern Auradon castle with a vampire and her staff for the past few days had been amazing to the young Demigod.

Mal smiled down at Uma who was still kissing at Mal's warm pale skin "We have to leave, you know it's no longer safe here. In fact, we have probably stayed here for too long, darling. When one enemy comes out of the shadows more are sure to follow."

Uma nods, realistically, she understood exactly why Maleficent wanted to leave Auradon. Just a few days ago Uma had been kidnapped by Audrey, a vampire Maleficent had changed more than a hundred years prior who had been upset with Mal for killing her lover and in return wanted to kill Uma in front of Mal and Audrey had succeeded. What no one had planned on was Uma being the daughter of a god. When Uma had died she met her father in the underworld and he was indeed the bridge between the two worlds. The man in the boat taking lost souls to the underworld. He told Uma her siblings needed her and she needed to stay alive, get her training and find Ashael and Veritas... but the most chilling part was hearing that her lover had taken her off of a course she didn't even know she was so supposed to be on.

Why did her father who had no interest in Uma as a person but only as a key to her siblings Ashael and Veritas tell her who she should or should not be with? What in the parental hell was that? Uma's mother who was probably even less emotionally present didn't even get that much say.

"My love," Mal says, pulling Uma out of her own head "Where did you go?"

Uma sighs and shakes her head pushing her long teal green hair against her back "Sorry, I was thinking too much, I should shower so we can get ready to go. Care to join me?"

Mal sits up and grins "Oh, absolutely."

"I hope Carlos is enjoying Switzerland," Uma says and Mal cringes inwardly, she knew that Uma didn't really understand why she had to send almost everyone in her home away but it was necessary. While being betrayed by Audrey she had infiltrated her people and found Lonnie, one of the humans she keeps in her homes to feed her vampires while she put her through school - taught her to become a witchling and betray Maleficent. After that night when she, Evie, and Uma had returned back to her castle she had called six cars to send her human and vampire staff alike away. Only keeping her most trusted friend and co-ruler Evie to stay in the home with them, and then brought in a new human staff to cook whenever Uma was hungry during their last few days there.

Mal didn't want to stay in Auradon at all, she wanted to take Uma far, far away from anyone else who believed they could use her new lover as bait to hurt Maleficent, but Mal knew that Uma was leaving for New Orleans with her family and with her newly found demigod status and Evie on the same floor if something were to happen Mal had to believe the three of them could handle what was thrown at them.

But what was thrown, was Mal.

Over the past few centuries Mal had truly begun to relax, she knew she was one of the strongest and most ruthless vampires and the only vampire who could stand beside Valdimir Tepesh - her Twin Flame and the only other Mast Vampire who had mastered their shared power of pyrokinesis; a very rare power for vampires and with the power passed down from their sire's - the vampires who changed them. Vlad had received his powers Tenoch and Mal from Laverna when they both realized they had the same abilities; they grew an attachment to one another - rather they wanted to admit to it or not.

Mal was beginning to realize how much relaxing and relying on the fact that she was the best had made her become... average.

When Mal had begun her fight with Audrey, Lonnie had spelled her, taking away her ability to use fire and Mal's fighting skills were worse than Audrey. When Maleficent was closer to six hundred years old.