Reconstructed

"The colder you are,
The better you fair against
The flames of hell. "

GRISHA JÄGER was a man that was given a single chance out of everyone else. In hindsight, Grisha wasn't given a chance at all. No, not really. Grisha was just a man that was set to be the sire of freedom itself.

It was all set in stone from the day Eren Kruger was born. Grisha was really only a stepping stone, a requirement to be met, a check on a list. Eren Jäger was freedom. And staring into eyes the beautiful mixture of salted ocean water, fresh grass, and something else he couldn't identify, he felt it in his soul.

Grisha Jäger couldn't help but entertain the thought that his son's eyes should've been a fiery gold. For Eren Jäger was sure to be a phoenix: foraged from hell's flames and their ashes. Sure to be an unstoppable force that would keep moving forward until he got what he wanted. No matter the cost.

Likely even to the point beyond monstrosity.

He couldn't decide if he were to be frightened or proud. His hands shook as he put the little baby to sleep. A snow white pillow caught his eye and his fingers twitched a little but he couldn't bring himself to head toward it. Couldn't he be a little bit of both?

Wasn't a monster what it would take? To unite them all? To put an end to this? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Did his son have to become a martyr?

"Kaia..you have to save her..." The muttered words left his lips without his knowledge and had him wondering just who Kaia was. She had to be important if the Attack Titan's power was seeping through. A flash of strawberry icecream cones and shotguns being fired passed through his head, giving him a migraine.

"Good night, Eren." With a small kiss on his son's head, he left the room.

That night he woke up in cold sweat, dreaming of dogs.

EREN JÄGER wasn't a man drowned in a pool of regrets. In fact, for half of his life, the only thing he regretted the most was being born behind those walls. The nauseating caged feeling that would only leave if he did. Eren Jäger was, ironically, claustrophobic in the place safest for him.

Some rebellious part of him would hate his mother for how she tried to stomp on his desire for freedom instead of supporting him. Majority of him would always love the woman who he had embedded splinters into his own fingers for.

The woman that he would have stood in front of a titan for. But sadly the woman who it all began with ended and he began anew. Humans were weak and so, that was the last time he would consider himself to be truly human. Or rather, the first time he let go of his desperate and fleeting grip on his humanity.

Maybe it was when he realized that he couldn't fight for his own freedom without saving everyone else in the process. Maybe that was when he lost interest in appearing human with his actions? Maybe even before then.

His goals became warped somewhere along the way for his survival. He couldn't really go around telling people that he wanted to kill everything that tried to take people's -or, god help them, his- freedom.

No, he couldn't go telling people that if given the chance, he would knock every inch of these walls clean down. That he would stumble through the rubble with a smile on his face because he was finally free. Only after he exterminated every ugly man eating bastard out there.