Cancled plans

My heartbeat syncs with the raindrops hitting the window. Rainy days we're always my favorite. The darkness carpeting my room, the smell of wet pavement, and most of all, a perfect excuse to cancel any plans. A friend of mine invited me to hang out with him and a few other people. Not wanting to let him down once again, I agreed. I doubt he's going to let the rain stop him . I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid. I don't think I can handle another "mishap".

My phone suddenly rings and pulls me out of thought. I listen to the melody of my ringtone for a moment debating whether or not I wanted to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, I'm gonna make this quick." Elijah. The last person I wanted to speak to. Knowing him, he's going to beg me to meet up with him anyway, regardless of the rain. Sometimes I can't stand him...but he's there for me and that's all I could ever ask for.

Memories start flooding my mind all at once. Good ones, bad ones, ones that I forgot where even there.

"...so, what do ya say?"

For a moment, I forgot that I was even on the phone.

"hm? What'd you say?"

"Day dreaming again huh? I said that it's fine if you don't want to go out. You know, with the rain and all."

I didn't expect him to say this, but I don't question it at all. In fact, I couldn't be more grateful.

"Oh, yeah. That's fine." I picked my words carefully to not hint at the fact that I was just the slightest bit of suspicious.

"Can I speak to oatmeal?"

I snickered " Her name is Luna Mae"

"Yeah yeah whatever just put her on"

Luna Mae was my cats name. When I first got her, Elijah wanted to be the one to pick her name. I refused because I hated the name oatmeal but I still just go with it. Elijah loves Luna more than he loves himself. I'll never forget the time he spent his entire paycheck to get her this really fancy bed that she didn't even find appealing. He still hold her to it till this day.

Rolling my eyes I scoop Luna into my arms and put my phone on speaker.

"There, you're all set."

"Hi Oatmeal. Sorry I wasn't able to see you today but I promise I will tomorrow. I'll bring treats to make up for it."

It's like I can hear Elijah smiling through the phone, which automatically makes me do the same.

Luna purrs as if she's giving a response and twists her way out of my arms.

"She says she's very excited and that she forgives you."

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow okay. Call me if you need anything. Seriously."

"Although I doubt I'll need to, I appreciate the thought."

"Yeah, yeah, just don't forget dumbass."

And with that he's gone.

Now I'm just left staring at the walls sitting in a comfortable silence.

I tiptoe out of my room, careful to not disturb Luna. The creaking sound the floor makes takes me back to when I was younger. I would carefully walk by my parents room early in the morning, trying to make it to the kitchen for cereal.

I walk to the kitchen and start gathering things to make cookies. I put on the apron Elijah gifted me and get to work.

In the midst of baking, I hear my doorbell ring. Walking to the door I pass by a mirror to make sure I'm not a mess. I place a few stay strands of hair back in place and continue on towards the door. Opening it, I see the mailman.

"Nice to see you again Y/N"

I smile and nod, my mouth being glued shut. I've never spoken more than a couple of words every time I see him. It's like the more attractive a person is, the harder it is to speak to them.

As he hands me my mail his fingertips brush against mine. He jumps and quickly pulls his hand away.

"Umm, sorry about that."

"No, no you're fine."

He smiles and scratches the back of his neck. He's such a dork...in a cute way. I force myself to continue the conversation.

"How's your day been?" Is all I could muster up.

"Pretty well. Your neighbors dog on the other hand..."

I laugh with the image of him getting chased by the dog next door.

"That little thing? He's only like...10 pounds."

"Yeah, 10 pound of hell" He smiles and checks around his feet, as if he's expecting him to be there.

Laughing I say "if you're expecting another viscous dog to be here, don't worry. There's only a stuck up cat.

As soon as I say this he relaxes a little.

"I didn't but thanks for the information"

"Yeah, sure."

I notice a little glint in his eyes that could make a person melt. He gives me a little wave and gets back to his job.

Feeling accomplished I pull myself back to reality, only to smell the smell of burning cookies.