sixteen | to die without love

In the farmhouse kitchen of Theo Nott's elaborate Hampstead home, a meeting was taking place. There were tulips on the table, tea cups where Draco would expect wine glasses to be, and an uncomfortable feeling in the air.

Draco scanned the four heads through the window - facing him were two girls, with another turned away from him, and Theo himself was lightly pacing on the other side of the room.

He assumed the girls were Mel's bandmates from Son Of A Witch.. yes, there was Viola Juneberry, small and electrically pretty; then dreamy little Cadence Locket, and with her back to him, the long dark hair of Madrigal Mallow.

But no Melody.

"More tea, anyone?"

Theo's tone was clipped, awkward.

Clearly more out of politeness than anything else, Cadence pushed her cup forwards. It was still half full.

"I'm sure Melly will be here soon," Viola offered kindly.

Theo nodded, lips pursed, unconvinced. The grandfather clock ticked passively on the wall, thickening the air with every stroke. Madrigal's nails tapped delicately on the porcelain rim of her cup. Theo began to look tortured.

Then, just as it was becoming unbearable, there was a loud crack, swiftly followed by a knock at the front door that made Theo jump as if he'd been electrocuted. Without waiting for a response, the new arrival tapped her way quietly through to the kitchen.

"Melody." Theo melted. She didn't meet his gaze; her eyes were red and sore-looking. She was still pretty, Draco noted, but uncharacteristically dishevelled.

"Theo." She spoke delicately, deliberately, and Theo picked up quickly on some unspoken statement.

"I'll leave you to it?"

She nodded an embarrassed thanks.

The second he left the room she burst into tears. Draco was overcome with an odd need to comfort her. God, why am I so soft?

The girls crowded around her, offering tissues, kisses, cups of tea. She brushed them all away.

"We've got to cancel the tour," she choked, looking like the words were ripping out of her rather than being consciously spoken.

"Oh, Melly, don't be silly!" Viola cooed, though she flashed the others a concerned glance over the blonde girl's head.

Cadence quickly took the hint. "Whatever's happened, we'll deal with it!" she agreed, nodding fervently. "It can't be that bad."

"It is!" Melody wailed. Her eyes were frantic, wild as she whipped round to look at them all. Draco had often seen genuine misery, and recognised it now.

"Is it... is it Theo?" Madrigal asked her quietly. She darted a look into the next room, but he didn't seem present.

Melody convulsed. "Sort of," she whispered. "Vi, it... it really is that bad. And-" she took a big, shuddering breath- "the baby isn't even the worst part."

The baby?

There was a terrible, panicked silence as everyone took the news in and no one had a clue how to react. Draco certainly didn't know what was appropriate.
Should the girls be happy, as people usually were when told their friends were pregnant? Or should they leap straight to commiseration? Mel was their bandmate before she was their friend, after all, and this wouldn't be just anyone's baby. It would be their manager's.